Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel77_gw

Opinions on Rose of Sharon...

rachel77
18 years ago

I was thinking of planting one next year, but I hear they set a lot of seedlings. Is that true? Or are there varieties that are better or worse than others? Any other comments or concerns?

Thanks!

Rachel

Comments (3)

• MicheleJ
    18 years ago

My father-in-law tells me that the new plants I see popping up come from the roots of the plant, but my local garden center has told me they come from the seed pods, so to make sure I gather and dispose of them right away. The shoots in the grass I just mow over, and that takes care of that. I haven't had any shoots appear in the gardens yet. I've only had a season and a half with Rose of Sharon, but I love them! I prefer the single bloomers as I am a true lover of hibiscus and that trumpet shape. They seem to be extremely low maintenance and extremely versatile, in that you can prune them to be what you want them to be and move them to just about any location you choose. I have a few I am allowing to shrub and a few I have cut to be tree like. Add to this the abundant beauty of the blooms; I would highly recommend them to anyone!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Rachel,

I have found that all of the singles reseed themselves. When in the grass, no problem, just mow them off.
    I didn't have a problem with the one in a 'bed' until a season when I didn't preen, and they/are everywhere.

Most of the doubles don't set seeds. There is only one I've found that does, and that is a double lavender...very pretty.

I love them all, singles, doubles, and in all colors.

Sue

• rachel77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I'm definitely getting one now! :-)

Sponsored