Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gutzmek

Bloom Images *sticky please*

Gutzmek
11 years ago

I'm with Darren... lets get some images out there! I'll start.

Comments (66)

• merkity
    11 years ago

here is a shot of Brilliant - the blooms are changing in shape and quality with the colder weather.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Interesting. Didn't just think there would be so much deviation in blooms due to weather/soil changes. I grew a few roses, years back and there were little change with weather and/or soil in the blooms. I'm learning. Kinda nice to see different blooms from what you expect from time to time, like a new plant!

Darren

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

White Wing bloomed today thanks to all those that told me about the systemic treatment for these beauties.

Olddog where are your photos???

Darren

• squalluto
    11 years ago

Hi! I am new here. This is my favorite Hibiscus. Its color is Red. It's been with me for around 6 years already. :)

• squalluto
    11 years ago

This one is a white hibiscus with a tinge of yellow on the tips of the petals.

• squalluto
    11 years ago

By the way...I enjoyed your pictures! :)

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Darren,
    Did some tweeking on the tablet camera and I am now getting color acurate photos. Below is Erin Rachael. Wish I would have figured this out earlier.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cosmic Dancer from Dupont. Too bad it doesn't bloom that often. I like the radiance from the colors. It's only the 4th bloom this year.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Welcome Squalluto,

Love your white flower, very nice.

Ed, those are gorgeous! I think the Cosmic Dancer is just a little nicer. Glad you got that tablet dialed in!

No blooms today but my yellow is working on some blooms, sooo.

Darren

• merkity
    11 years ago

finally a decent flower from my red double....

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Beautiful bloom Merkity. Love red doubles. Have some cuttings I'm working on at the moment. Saw some with a white stripe in them and the "double" part in the front of the bloom of the center is smaller. Really cool stuff.

Darren

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was a great idea Darren. We have gotten some awesome photos. Now if I could delete my reposts where I hit the back button. Squalluto's additions are great. And I'm glad that Merkity added Brilliant. Mine has blooms that are also changing with the environment changes.

Ed

• squalluto
    11 years ago

Thanks Darren and Ed! Hi Merkity! The Erin Rachael is very colorful...Hoping to find one of those in our area.

I have yet to find pics of my other Hibiscuses. But I was able to take a photo of my newest plant yesterday when it bloomed...I think it is of the same variant with Merkity's Double but mine is pink in color.

• squalluto
    11 years ago

Here's another one...this was the first time it bloomed under my care..in August this year. It resembles plumeria blooms, which makes me think this is a one-of-a-kind Hibiscus...or I might be wrong though.

Our sellers here do not ID their stocks, so am very sorry for not being able to identify my plants. :)

• squalluto
    11 years ago

I got this Hibiscus from the mountains of Sagada,philippines. I took cuttings from a generous local in the area and only one was able to root and bloom three weeks ago. :) The photo also show the flower in full bloom...that's about it, the petals do not open wider. Although it took me in Sagada to get one, I just saw a very big plant in Manila a month ago.haha!

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

This plant was labeled as a "Sandy" but I think it is a "Yellow Wing". It seems to me that the Nursery calls them anything they want to.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

This one is a "Painted Lady". My camera is a lowly Kodak digital so my colors are not always true.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

This is a Mutant. The label says it is a "Painted Lady" but it bloomed as a very light Pink and has multiple Stamens. I thought it might just be the single bloom but this picture is of the third one to bloom like this so far.

• merkity
    11 years ago

interesting - i have seen pic's of this on antoher forum somewhere, no word on what causes it though. I have seen small deformities on my plants, but nothing this extreme. just a missing piece here and there.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Yep Ed this is cool. Nice to see you participating olddog! Beautiful blooms everyone. My white wing bloomed one day and normally has 5 petals but only had 4 with a partially developed petal. I attributed it to health as I figured it probably had been hit by a slowly dying gall midge, maybe not.

Olddog that painted lady is huge!! Is that a 3 gal pot behind it? What a bloom. That Yellow Wing would look so cool next to my white wing! What a pair they would make.

Squalluto, that plumeria looking bloom is fascinating. Love it. Can't wait to hear what others who know hibiscus better than I have to say about it. Your bloom that doesn't open is a Turk's Cap.

Waiting for my yellow to bloom, any day now. Keep those pictures coming. Any other lurkers out there? Surely there are people that have some amazing blooms to share with us. BTW, I will participate in the "list" thread when I can compose a list to share.

Darren

• merkity
    11 years ago

Olddog - are all the blooms on the same branch or different branches?

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Squalluto and Olddog,
    These are some great looking CVs. As much as I love all my new exotics, you really cant ignore some of those originals. My mom has a huge "White Wing" (20+ years old) that she sends me photos of. Olddog, our botanical gardens here have a couple of large "Painted Lady" plants. And you always catch people taking pictures of them. Unfortunately, I am starting to run out of room, and I have more I want. The other issue is many of my plants are new this year and some have never bloomed. Next spring, my prunning should increase the areas for blooms. Also, many of these are taking forever to open. I have waited almost 2 weeks to get my first bloom from "Voodoo Magic" and "Sea Spray" isn't even trying yet. It does have unique leaves, but I am waiting for flowers. Below is VM's bud and SS's leaves.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sea Spray leaves.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Darren I must confess that the Painted Lady is in a 1 Gallon Pot and I used the closeup setting on my camera. The bloom is quite large but not as large as the camera makes it look.

Merkity the blooms of the Mutant are all on different branches. I am watching the plant to see what will develop with the next set of blooms.

Gutzmek I am just the opposite of you. I am very much impressed with some of the exotics but I keep coming back to the originals. I guess that is what makes the world go around. I once had a brother-in-law and his favorite response to different opinions was "That is why they make different colors of paint".

• squalluto
    11 years ago

Hi!

Thanks Darren and Ed. I can't wait too...there's always this feeling of wanting to know the origin of my Hibiscuses. hehe! Thank you also for the Turk's Cap ID. Wow! the 20+ year old Hibiscus is interesting!

Merkity and Olddog, Too hot weather/direct sunlight does affect the flowers upon opening in my experience. But a two-headed mutant flower was never a case experienced...I'd wait for that day! :D

• squalluto
    11 years ago

Hi! posting pics again. :) This Hibiscus has a very tiny pink bloom where the opening is around an inch in diameter. It has been a long time since I saw this plant bloom. am planning to move it to a sunnier spot.

• squalluto
    11 years ago

This is my very first Double. It's red one and the stamen/pistil are fully covered by the petals. Too bad the first plant I acquired died almost a year ago, but a second purchase survived the storm. I can't seem to know if it still does today since a lot of my Hibiscuses have not bloomed(while some died without blooming at all)...most of them are placed in a partial shade area. I have just moved some in a sunnier spot, so I am anticipating blooms by December or January...time to see which is which. haha!

• squalluto
    11 years ago

This photo was taken about a year and a half ago. This bloom has a light violet/purple color. Somehow, I was able to remember the leaves after it bloomed. Haven't seen it bloom until a couple of weeks ago when I moved it in a sunnier spot. The next pic is the recent photo taken...then comes the question, I find the two blooms different...or I'm just mistaken.

• squalluto
    11 years ago

This is the second photo. I do think they are two different plants. But I will just have to wait for the others to bloom...that is...to see which is which! :D

• squalluto
    11 years ago

This is also a very interesting bloom! When I was buying this plant, I saw the supposed mother plant where the seller took cuttings of the seedlings he was selling...but when my plant bloomed, it gave me a different flower! haha! bloggers and websites call this a pagoda hibiscus...I think I've read someone calling it japanese lantern. but anyway, it has a combination of light orange and creamy yellow color.

This might be the last pic that I'll be posting...for now...I'll have to wait for new blooms...no more old pictures...but I think I have two more pictures of my other hibiscuses in my sister's computer. I'll post it upon copying them to my computer.

Thank you...I am enjoying this forum. :)

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome photos Squalluto! Here is my mom's 20 year old "White Wings".

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Great shots Squalluto. The Double Red is perfect. I have a Double Red and when it opens I will try to match yours. Don't think I can though. Your Pagoda is real nice. I have a couple plants like this and have had them called Little Tiger Hibiscus. Here again, it all seems to me that the Growers and Nurseries change the names around just to mix people up and make them think they are getting something new. I DO NOT think that all of them are that way. I know several well known growers that are very careful about naming their plants and go to great lengths to make sure that they label everything properly. It does help us all to have a forum like this to let us all exchange information and pictures. It really helps to show us all that we all can learn from these exchanges. Let's keep it up!

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Squalluto,
    I think your last flower is called "El Capitolio".

Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Ed, yes that last one, I've seen several times as a red is El Captitolio! I thought there was only red, but googling it shows, pink, red and yellow versions too! Love this plant. I literally slammed on my brakes the first time I saw one.

The bloom here is Tropic Escape and is not my plant but my MIL's who lives in Zone 8. I ran out of "new" photos to share so I had to go into the archives, ;-)

Olddog, love the perspective on that photo, I kinda suspected it was a little perspective but the photo has that wow effect and that made my day!

Ed, Mom's white wing is gorgeous. Are the petals curled, they look squared off? I feel your pain, I have a yellow that hasn't bloomed since I brought it home. Thick lush leaves, healthy looking but had bad bloom drop. Checked on my way coming indoors and it has 3 blooms, one is close to opening. I guess it was in distress but just didn't show it badly like my other plants. Sea spray and Voodoo are pretty nice plants.

Squalluto, that El Capitolio is pretty special. I just adore that style of bloom. The little pink bloom is very nice too.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Purple Rose of Sharon that belongs to my MIL.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

This bloom, every so popular is known by many names if I am not mistaken. Texas Star, Scarlet Rosemallow, etc.

Not my bloom either...

Darren

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Even though others may not be blooming, this is still pleasant to look at. Each morning I rush in the room like a kid on Christmas morning to see what I got.

• merkity
    11 years ago

great pics! i really like the chance to see the blooms of different varieties from individuals vs having to rely on pics from sellers. Lets see i have a picture of "Cherie" that bloomed this weekend - though the bugs got to it.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Darren,
    H. Mosheutos (Rose Mallows/Swamp Mallows) can be difficult at times to identify as the flowers are usually similar. I collect them for the foliage, as this is many times the only distinctive piece. I'm leaning towards "Lord Baltimore" as it has a obvious crimson flower. The key is the stems and leaves, or the underside. 'LB' has red stems, but the underside of the leaf has green veins. "Cranberry Crush" is near identical, except the veins are also the red color. All my H.M. (except for 'Plum Crazy') are still outside and only "Robert Fleming" still has leaves. I wont bring them in until the first 24 hour freeze.

Ed

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of a bloom from a plant labeled "Jane Cowl".
    It looks a little darker orange that the picture shows. It just opened today and I am real proud of it.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Thats dedication Ed! So nice to see the lengths people go to in order to have what would not normally be grown in their areas! When looking at propagation techniques for palm trees I found a bunch of videos on youtube produced by a canadian on the pacific coast. This guy and in his town there are all kinds of palm trees! Apparently there is a microclimate there. Too cool.

That red was my MIL so i can't check it, but will the next time I visit. I don't think it had red stems but could be wrong........going from a poor memory.

Merkity, Cherie is beautiful. Does anyone know why the leaves "cup" up like this? One of my newest plants does this and I haven't noticed any other plants doing this, but the leaves on this plant are very much unlike my other plants.

Darren

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Ok, where is the edit button after you submit? Facebook realized you needed one?

Ed, I stand corrected. Just looked at the photo of my MIL's red and it does have a red stem, duh. I never claimed to be very observant.

Here is a red from my yard today. Sorry no name.

Darren

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Olddog that is a beauty. It looks very much like my double orange that I posted earlier in this thread. My, when not inundated with bugs, is a prolific bloomer and thick bush.

Darren

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay!. My much awaited Voodoo Magic. Only took 2 weeks to open. The bud this morning was the size of a golf ball and pulling on the plant.
    Darren, that leaf set and the look of some of the others looks eerily similar to what I am battling now. Spider mites. This would explain one and not the others. They are devils to be rid of, and only the Erin Rachaels have them. There are no other plants touching them to avoid contamination. Do the leaves feel harder and more brittle?

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another one of my fluffy baby. Up close there is a faint orange between the brown and yellow edges.
    Merkity, this is one of the plants I purchased from HVH. Plants arrived very healthy, and short of a shipper damaging the box, near perfect.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olddog, I am not much for doubles, but that peach colored flower is awesome! The light red veins make the texture.
    Darren, Your plant looks like a red 'brilliant'. Great plant for color and blooms, but the small leaves and "stringy" branches mean it needs lots of pruning. Mine produce flowers daily, and sometimes I look past their consistency for the exotics.

On another note...should we start a new thread? This one is over 60 posts. Or should we keep adding and let others enjoy the tons of pictures?
    Ed

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just noticed by looking through the posts...
    Darren, you first picture looks a lot like Olddog's latest....
    Ed

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Need to start a new thread. I think this is a very good thing but it is getting a little long.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Ed,

Voodoo Magic is sweet! Love the arrangement of those petals. Cool color of course. Yes, the leaves are hard and will snap if bent unlike the others. I spray this plant with the systemic spray and thus now I have 3 buds on it, should have a bloom any day now..........I know I keep saying that. Do I need to get something else to spray it with? I don't see anything unusual on the leaves.

I have a pretty quick internect connection so large files and threads don't phase my computer but I imagine this big thread can harder on those that don't have a great internet connection.

Darren

PS thanks for the ID.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumped

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery