Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black shiny smooth bugs ??

Posted by thawran z5 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 04 at 1:03

I just brought in my hibiscus plants and one of them
is dying because of these bugs that seem to act like
leeches and suck juice out of the branches.

They look like very small black domes 1/8" to 3/16" round.

What are they and how can I get rid of them?

thanks//theo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black shiny smooth bugs ??

I can send a picture if you'd like to help me.
I can't figure out how to upload one yet.

o

What you have is hibiscus scale. Use Orthene of Cygon, two systemic insecticides, to treat scale. I'm not sure Cygon is being sold anymore, but Orthene is. Orthene has an awful smell, but it works. Be sure to take it outside to spray it, or you can mix according to directions, add a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, and water it into the pot. It will be absorbed through the roots and kill the scale.

If a branch has a lot of scale, you could scrape them off, but be careful not to scrape the bark off too.

o

• Posted by carlyg z8 East TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 19:18

I discovered these small black bugs all over my hibiscus a couple of days ago? Can I put sevin dust on it? That's all I have at the moment?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here