Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank27603

Little tiny Red Bugs are killing my Hibiscus...Please Help!

frank27603
15 years ago

Please help! I moved my tropical Hibiscus in for the winter, but it has become infested with little red bugs that appear to be killing it. The leaves are drying up and turning spotty colors. I've had aphids before, but they didn't kill the plant. These bugs are on the plant and in the soil too.

I've searched past posts and did not see any info for this type of infestation. I can't figure out what they are either... Does anyone have a tried and true method to kill these bugs and save my plant? I have used insect spray on indoor plants before and they always die. This was my grandmother's Hibiscus that she loved and I really want to save it! Please see the photos below.

Your help would be graciously appreciated!

-Frank

Comments (8)

• frank27603
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for responding, tsmith2579.

Before I received your response, I went to my local garden center to inquire. They told me to spray the plant with diluted dish soap and spray it into the soil as well. They assured me it was completely safe to do so. Well, I did as they suggested and the bugs seemed to die as soon as the soapy water him them. I cleaned it up and put fresh soil in the pot and set it out for a sun bath. Breathing a sigh of relief, I really thought it was going to be all good...

Well, I can tell you all that what I did is apparently NOT and I repeat NOT what you do. My plant is now dead as a hammer and I am just sick over it. I have since read that maybe it was putting it out in the hot sun that did it in. I am unsure what happened.

Hopefully, my misfortune will help someone else to avoid this trauma.

-Frank

• Lindsey Scott
    6 years ago

I know this was a long time ago but have you since heard of what to do? I had no clue why my hibiscus was dying and then when I went to water it noticed what looked like red eggs. I googled "red eggs and black bugs on trunk" and was shocked to find your post as the very first link and I never even included hibiscus so apparently this really is something that attacks this type of plant because your picture are exactly what is happening :( I think it's too late for me .. as you can see in the photo, she's just about gone. There were tons of them originally but can be seen best at the base of the trunk and the crevices as shown in photos ... any advise appreciated I want to try at least

• HU-484642354
    3 years ago

These things are killing my Texas star hybiscus and leaves are drying up.

• luis_pr
    3 years ago

Spider mites and aphids are two pests that are often red in color and damage hibiscus.

• Lindsey Scott
    3 years ago

It sucks I know, I won’t buy hibiscus after a second died to the same thing . It’s very weird

• HU-438066278
    2 years ago

Frank27603 - The soapy water shouldve killed the aphids on your plant but iver never heard of putting it in the soil, although i dont think that would harm the hibiscus. sitting them out in the sun could fry the leaves, espe especially if you are in the Southern U.S. in the summer.

• Debra Colby
    last year

it was thrips. next time spray hydrogen peroxide. it kills the pest at any stage including the eggs

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County