Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Earliest flowering of the perennial hibiscus?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
16 years ago

With living in zone 3, our first autumn frosts hit around mid Sept ... yeah, I know that's way too early! I've often wanted to attempt some of the moscheutos types, though was wondering what varieties are the earliest to come into flower? I had seen someone's posted photos of 'Sweet Caroline' flowering freely in August in zone 5. To get these plants off to an earlier spring start, I would place them up against the south side of my house, and this would also help keep the roots warm during winter.

Would appreciate knowing your favorite early bloomers ... Thanks!

Terry

Comments (6)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I would think you might want to try some of the 'Luna' series of hardy hibiscus. I see some available from Park Seed. They are not cheap but once you have a baby or two growing you can sometimes get seed from it. They bloom first year from seed if started in the Jan- Feb time frame.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks David, I was thinking of giving the Luna series a try.

Terry

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

I'm typcially in zone 4 but have seen -45 F. and -39 F. temperatures at my home. They all seem to bloom about the same time for me, although some of the newer varieties like "Moy Grande" bloom later. Here are some pictures of some of the many varities I have grown for years.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Arctictropical, thank you for posting the awesome photos!Would you possibly be able to name the plants shown and the earliest to flower? Can plants be in flower in August? Thanks ...

Terry

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

Thanks Terry.

Here are the names in order of appearance:

Sweet Caroline
    Moy Grande
    Lord Baltimore
    Raspberry Rose
    Ann Arundel (or Garden Pink?)

I might be able to dig up pictures of other varieties if you wish to see some others. They all seem to start blooming the beginning of August until frost in zone 4 except Moy Grande. Moy Grande is about two weeks later and blooms on plants that reach up to between 6 and 7 feet high. Most are about 5 to 6 feet high, although Lord Baltimore and Raspberry Rose gets almost as tall as Moy Grande.

• Fleur
    16 years ago

Wow, those are spectacular. Do you ever save seed and have it to trade?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!