Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Need plant ID... Please

chena
17 years ago

Hey!!!

I bought the Hibiscus a few yrs. ago. It was just marked trop..It always puts on quite a show and I have taken cuttings..To my suprise they began to root in just 3 days..BUT..I have no idea what it is..LOL .I'm hoping you can help me out...

Blessings

Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:901050}}

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Are the blooms always this "faded" red? Or are they a more uniform red. Is the eye (center) a darker red than the rest?
    The two cultivars that come to mind are 'President' or 'Brilliant'. If the eye is darker, it could be 'President'.
    Barb

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Barb!! The center is dark and the outer petals are pretty much as the pic shows...

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

One thing I've noticed with many of my flowers and not just the tropical hibiscus, is that though the color for each particular variety of hybrid may be somewhat consistant for coloring for identical varieties, the color intensity can vary considerably , depending on growing conditions etc. , but also I'd add the tropical hibiscuses are one of those popular plants that has perhaps hundreds of different and sometimes very similar culitivars, so finding the exact name may be somewhat difficult. I guess there are a few very unique ones, mostly in the newer cultivars of grays and blues , which may be easier to identify, but---!! Best of luck anyway in finding the right name!! I also have a very old cutivar of a medium sized single flowered scarlet to bright red one, but haven't tried identifying it, since I've seen so many similar ones, often which aren't even named. I have a new double orange, which also unfortunately didn't have a variety name on the tag.

• chena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Birdinthepalm!
    Thanks.. I know what you mean... I think they are all so beautiful... I don't exactly live in the ideal area for trops but a girl can dream.LOL.. Unless you buy it on line you don't really have many choices...I would love to see a pic of your new double...It sounds beautiful..
    Chena

Sponsored