Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crankywitch

cutting stalk of hibiscus

crankywitch
9 years ago

Hi all,
I have a hibiscus tree not sure what kind exactly but the flowers are orange when it does get them, anyway last year it got a pod with seeds (6) so i planted them and 3 rooted. 2 of them look the same ie: thin stalk about 3/4 ft high with lots of 3 pointed leaves, one grew really tall - its about 2 1/2 feet high with a thick (pencil size) stalk and broad leaves only at top. There is some smalller leaves that seem to be trying to grow off the side of the stalk but they are really small and then seem to dry up and fall off. Anyways I really dont want a palm tree looking hibiscus lol so can i cut the stalk down or will it kill the plant? Also any ideas as to why the plants differ so drastically? Ok thanks :)

Comments (4)

• merkity
    9 years ago

If these are tropical hibiscus, the seedlings can be very different than the parent plants, or nearly identical.

• merkity
    9 years ago

Several of my seedlings do that until they reach a certain age and then they fill right in. I will admit that I don't fertilize them as often as I should as well. But I have two that have finally taken off this year and are going to bloom for me soon.

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Crankywitch,

This can be a common problem growing hibiscus in northern areas. If it is a tropical, it is worse. The real key is "pinching" new growth to encourage branching. You can do this with by cutting only the very newest leaves and branches. For seedlings, I start this at about 8 inches. For older plants, I do the do the same measuring from the last pruning cut. The plant in your picture appears that it needs more light and/or may have mites. If you are north, do not cut those top leaves, but only pinch the newest growth. These large leaves are supplying food to the plant. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Attached is a pinched seedling. It has several new stalks since then.

• crankywitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! Thanks everyone, ya this one was never a "full" looking plant, it just shot straight up up up lol it is in a bright spot in my kitchen window and I am sure it doesnt have mites, though i did give it a good look just in case. It just seems to wanna get super tall and skinny guess it wants to model! Haha! In any case I guess i'll see what happens, i hope it decides to fill out eventually as merkity said. i just wished i had of wrapped the stalk around a dowel earlier when it was pliable like my other one which is about a 7 foot tall tree, guess this one will be a straight 15 footer lol!