Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus buds falling off

Posted by Douglas.1 Quebec (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 12:14

I have a large and well developed interior hibiscus, approx.7ft. tall. For years it did not produce any buds. Now I have given it fertilizer treatments and it is full of buds which continue to mature until the flower can just be seen within the bud and then the bud drops off. Any ideas as to why this happens and how it can be corrected?
I have another smaller hibiscus which does not bud at all. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you, Douglas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus buds falling off

Hibiscus dropping buds is a sign of stress. I am not sure what kind of stress the plant is in, but that is for you to figure out :) In my mind, indoor plants maybe getting too less light and/or being pestered by insects like spider mites. If the hibiscus are more than a year old, they will bud and flower under the right conditions. Please check your fertilizer to ensure that it is not hurting the hibiscus, and also that it is applied at the correct dosage. Check your watering habits also, because the transpiration through leaves is different indoors from outdoors. A good place to do research on growing hibiscus is Charles Black's website. BTW, I am in no way related or profit from Charles Black or his business.

Good luck.

o
RE: Hibiscus buds falling off

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 15:26

The list of things that can cause buds to abort is long. Insects, disease, too much P in your fertilizer, root congestion, over/under-watering - which usually goes along with a poor soil choice, heat stress, a high level of salts in the soil .....

The main two things that most affected my plants were P levels and root congestion. Potted hibiscus do best with a full repot yearly. Full repots include bare rooting and root pruning the plant, and a change of soil, preferably something appropriate. Stay away from bloom-booster fertilizers. Even 1:1:1 ratio fertilizers like the popular 20-20-20 and controlled release 14-14-14 supply much too much P in relation to N for the plant to be as happy as it could be.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here