Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radovan_gw

Clear drop under leaf

radovan
13 years ago

i noticed clear drop like honey drop under my hibiscus leaf right under where the leaf starts. is it going to be some bug later on or is it some desease growing, otherwise hibiscus looks healthy and flowering although i brought it in to overwinter it.

i am in Ontario and it's cold:-)

Comments (10)

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

I don't know whether you are noticing honeydew..which is a bi product of aphids or not?? Honeydew is sugar so it is sticky.Take a close look for any type of insects and if so treat as necessary.

• radovan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is just one sticky drop per leaf attached underside where leaf starts.

****one per leaf.

Thank you rosco.

Best wishes ,
    Radovan

• JonnieSilvs
    11 years ago

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this exact thing is happening to me. I grew a hibiscus rosa-sinensis from seed, and now I'm getting one single red drop on the underside of almost every leaf, where the leaf meets the stem. In my curiosity, I licked one. It tasted sweet.
    I didn't see any other signs of an infestation of any sort. Radovan, did you ever find out what was up with your plants?

• JonnieSilvs
    11 years ago

My friend just took some clearer shots

• JonnieSilvs
    11 years ago

Here's one with flash

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

You are correct. If you lift the leaf of a hibiscus you will see a small droplet of nectar produced. This is to attract insects that can provide predatory protection. My issue is that ants want to have their cake and eat it too. Along with the ants come their bud sucking friend the aphid. Neither are welcome in my flower garden.
    Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed. I've never been accused of being very observant but there is not way I'd ever notice that one little imperfection. You should be commended for the attention you give your plants.

Thanks Jonnie for sharing that.

Darren

• User
    7 years ago

Very similar thing happened to my hibiscus but only with crystal clear sugar sweet (yep I tasted them too) drops. So I've been wondering why and came across this page. Internet is one good invention...

I appreciate "radovan" for sharing this problem 7 yrs ago and also many thanks to "JonnieSilvs" & "Gutzmek" for enlightening us.

Best wishes from Turkey.

Zeki

• kzmccaff
    last year

This is also happening to me, but my leaves are yellowing and dropping. One clear drop on the back side of several leaves, plus dropping leaves. Is that still to attract nice bugs?