Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

induced dormancy in trop. hibiscus?

mantorvillain
12 years ago

I may have to enjoy tropical hibiscuses (hibisci?) vicariously but boy I'm really enchanted with some of the pix of tropical hibiscus varieties posted in various forums. I'm crazy enough to have caught the brugmansia bug and carry over 40 something pots of those in dormancy in my basement as well as the typical aroids, dahlias and cannas so don't really need one more addiction - LOL

....but, I'd really like to try a couple of these (trop. hib.) if there was any way to carry them over in semidormancy in the basement? Are there any other northern gardners out there who have found a way? I 've already committed what window space we have so that's not an option.

thanks,

Will

Comments (2)

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Will: I have a few Tropical Hibiscus that I winter over in the house. I am in Ontario zone 6. I fortunately have a basic light settup using just the inexpensive flourescent tubes in 4 foot fixtures but it provides enough light for my needs. I place my tropical Hibiscus( which have been pruned to sticks about a foot high) at the ends of these lights (outside the 4 foot fixture zone) so they are receiving in fact very little light but they endure for the winter and then I place them outside in the spring and off they go. I actually usually even get a few blooms over the winter period to brighten the odd dreary day. I have now had a number of these Hibiscus for several years so I am happy with the results.Ross.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I've over-wintered in the basement, too. I simply prune the plants back very hard after they're allowed to dry down so they're almost completely dry. They then rest in the cool basement & go through a situational or environmental dormancy related to the dry soil and cool conditions. In spring, I remove the bottom 2/3 of the root mass and bare-root/root prune what's left, before repotting into a fast-draining soil comprised mainly of pine bark fines.

Root maintenance is very important if you want to get all you can from hibs. Their rebellion at tight roots includes lots of aborted buds, poor branch extension, and that 'tufted' or 'poodle' look where the foliage growth tends to be concentrated only near the apical meristems (growing tips of branches), not to mention an overall reduction in vitality.

Al

Sponsored