Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realityfaery_gw

Looking for what kind of Hibiscus this is:

realityfaery
10 years ago

Hi all! I'm trying to figure out what type of Hibiscus this is, I bought it at Home Depot during the summer and its tag says that it is a Tradewinds "Carolina Breeze" BUT I've had someone tell me its not the right coloring for a Carolina Breeze. So...does anyone know what type it could be instead?? Thanks so much! :)

Comments (4)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

It looks like 'Florida Sunset', a common Hibiscus in the box stores.

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

The 'Breeze' and 'Wind' series of hibiscus are owned by a large company called Aris Horticulture. They are believed to be part of early European strains/forms of CVs. They are very robust and easy to grow. They are also mass grown and sprayed with growth retardant to keep them lush and compact with lots of large blooms. I have a few and they can become a bit lanky without good pruning and pinching.
    One real value add for me is their ability for cross pollination. They are very receptive as the mother parent. I currently have 15+ plants growing and another 6+ seed pods on them. Although these plants can be a bit similar, I am looking forward to reviewing the blooms crossed with blue, purple, and brown fathers.
    Another item of note is they may make good 'root stock'. I will be digging into this further next spring.

To answer your question, check the Aris site. I suspect you will find your plant.
    Hope this helps.
    Ed.

• realityfaery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for you input! I actually think what I've got is a "Montego Wind", the descriptions are very similar and a image search returned a similar flower.

Thank you Gutzmek for all of the valuable information! The website was exactly what I have been trying to track down to find out what variety this was. I'm actually excited to know that the "Wind" series are receptive to cross pollination. I'd love to try that next year. Hopefully you get some great surprises from your breeding! Thanks again!

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

It appears to be very light for a Carolina Breeze. Mine starts out an intense orange in the morning and fades during the heat of the day, but yours appears to be a different variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Breeze

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm