Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for what kind of Hibiscus this is:

Posted by realityfaery 9b Cali (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:26

Hi all! I'm trying to figure out what type of Hibiscus this is, I bought it at Home Depot during the summer and its tag says that it is a Tradewinds "Carolina Breeze" BUT I've had someone tell me its not the right coloring for a Carolina Breeze. So...does anyone know what type it could be instead?? Thanks so much! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for what kind of Hibiscus this is:

It looks like 'Florida Sunset', a common Hibiscus in the box stores.

o

The 'Breeze' and 'Wind' series of hibiscus are owned by a large company called Aris Horticulture. They are believed to be part of early European strains/forms of CVs. They are very robust and easy to grow. They are also mass grown and sprayed with growth retardant to keep them lush and compact with lots of large blooms. I have a few and they can become a bit lanky without good pruning and pinching.
One real value add for me is their ability for cross pollination. They are very receptive as the mother parent. I currently have 15+ plants growing and another 6+ seed pods on them. Although these plants can be a bit similar, I am looking forward to reviewing the blooms crossed with blue, purple, and brown fathers.
Another item of note is they may make good 'root stock'. I will be digging into this further next spring.

To answer your question, check the Aris site. I suspect you will find your plant.
Hope this helps.
Ed.

o

Thank you both for you input! I actually think what I've got is a "Montego Wind", the descriptions are very similar and a image search returned a similar flower.

Thank you Gutzmek for all of the valuable information! The website was exactly what I have been trying to track down to find out what variety this was. I'm actually excited to know that the "Wind" series are receptive to cross pollination. I'd love to try that next year. Hopefully you get some great surprises from your breeding! Thanks again!

o

It appears to be very light for a Carolina Breeze. Mine starts out an intense orange in the morning and fades during the heat of the day, but yours appears to be a different variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Breeze

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here