Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrysalisunfurled

How Do I Handle An Indoor Overwinter?

chrysalisunfurled
16 years ago

I have a tropical Hibiscus that has long since been brought inside (am just south of Ottawa Ontario Canada). I suspect I should have cut it right back upon bringing it in but I simply couldn't bring myself to due to the prolific flowers & buds. I opted to keep it in a bright window, sweep up the yellow dropped leaves & wait for it to quit flowering. I am still waiting...& it is still producing new buds but is getting spindly due to the continued leaf drop. It is beginning to sprout new leaf growth tho so my question? Should I suck-it-up & cut the poor beast back? I suppose I need someone to tell me it would be for its own good.

Please inform me of your successes, I would appreciate your expertise.

Peace,

Hillary

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

Hillary,
    I've got good news for you. You don't have to cut back your hibiscus. It is a good idea in that it will promote "bushi-ness" and therefore more blooms, but not required. This is especially true since yours is still blooming and full of leaves (or soon will be again).
    What you can do is come spring, when it starts gtowing again, prune 1/2 - 1/3 of it at a time. That way, you'll have a bushier plant, but never be without blooms! It take about 3 months for a pruned branch to start blooming again.
    It is pretty normal for these plants to loose leaves like that and as long as it grows new ones, everything is fine.
    I have a greenhouse and mine keep their leaves all winter and many continue blooming. I have not pruned some at all and kinda regretted it - you will get a lot more blooms next year if you do prune. It also makes a nicer shaped, more compact plant.
    Barb

• chrysalisunfurled
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb:
    Thanx so much for your prompt response. I will follow your advice & continue waiting for it to tell when it is ready to be pruned.
    Peace,
    Hillary

Sponsored