Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uesjo

dead hibiscus...help needed for beginner

uesjo
16 years ago

I moved into a new house and found two pots that have smallish trees in them (about 5ft high). However it is just a long stem, about 3ft and then branches...no leaves, no flowers, nothing. So i was about to throw them away when i noticed that one had a beautiful hot pink flower!!!!! I know nothing about gardening...this is my first house so have no clue what to do. I believe that it is a hibiscus tree although it is just branches now :)

Is there anything i can do to save it? Please explain in simple terms as i am a novice. Thank you for your help

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

You're in luck in that tropical hibiscus are hardy where you are.

These plants are pretty resilient, especially the garden variety kinds, which is what I bet you have. I've had them come back from being in the high 20's at night of almost a week, while getting no water and they were rootbound. They were covered with a tarp, but still - that's pretty extreme for a hibiscus!
    It's hard to give advise without looking at the plant itself. The best thing for you to do is to take the plant to a nursery nearby. Not a big chain store, they don't have peopple there this time of year who know about plants. Since most nursery's in zone 10 areas sell tropical hibiscus, they'd be able to help you out.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Sponsored