Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfking

winter storage

pfking
18 years ago

I purchased 2 red to pink hibiscus in the Spring with the intention of composting them in the fall. I can't do it. They are quite beautiful. Due to the weather I've been forced to bring them inside. The plants are about 2 feet tall. Leaves are falling rapidly.How can I make them last through the winter? What kind of care will they require, water, light, temperature, feeding etc? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Here's a great link with all the info you'll need to keep them happy this winter. Click on the "Growing Hibiscus up North..." link.
    It also has lots of other info on hibiscus care in general.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus care link

• sandihere2005
    18 years ago

Hi pfking,

Last summer was my first year of being a hib'er. I made my first purchase then. The plant did quiet well considering I didn't know anything about hib's at that time.

For the winter I placed it in a southern facing window, with very little heat in the room, (probably a little warmer here than where you are) but on the nights it got below freezing I did use heat.

It looked pretty bad by the time spring came around, but after learning about the feeding habits and moving it back outside, it has flourished. It's about 6 ft. tall now and causing problems for this winter season.

I made my second purchase this past summer and have not re potted this one yet. It's about 3 ft. tall. I may have to do some cutting back to be able to live with them until spring.

What I've learned: make sure they get plenty of sunlight, water infrequently, feed only about once a month with one half strength fertilizer.

Watch out for growth explosion in the spring when you get them moved back outside and start full feeding schedule.

I will try to post some photo's.

Best of luck to you and I can't blame you for not composting,
    sandi

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz