Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newsview

40-yr-old Hibiscus - Blooms but no leaves

newsview
17 years ago

Good afternoon,

IâÂÂm new to Garden Web, with a question regarding a family member's hibiscus. I don't know the name of this 15-20 ft tree because a previous homeowner planted it over 35 years ago. To the best of my knowledge and recollection, the tree has been sick only once about four or five years ago when whiteflys invaded the Southern California area. The whiteflys, at least in the neighborhood where the tree is planted, are pretty much under control now due, I understand, to the state's introduction of a predatory wasp, which apparently feasts on white fly larva. In addition, the tree was spared the brunt of the whitefly epidemic by being hosed down vigorously and regularly during that time period. Other than that, the hibiscus has never demanded anything (not even fertilizer, I'm afraid). Unfortunately, for the past year or two it is virtually defoliated except for blooms. The question is, is this indicative of a hibiscusâÂÂs natural aging process -- perhaps the end of its natural lifespan -- OR is this sign of a soil deficiency, disease, etc.? If so what are the best all-around solutions (types of fertilizer, disease control, etc.)? I am by no means a hibiscus expert, so I appreciate any tips you can provide.

Comments (2)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Is there a reason you aren't using an insecticide? I suggest you try a systemic insecticide. Water with the systemic insecticide and it will be soaked up into the leaves and stems. When the bugs eat or suck the leaves, they will die.

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply, tsmith2579. Currently, it doesn't appear that there is a whitefly/bug problem, but a closer inspection would be warranted. I've also heard that failure to prune may result in defoliation (since it long ago stabilized into a 15-20' tree form, the upper branches have rarely been pruned to my knowledge).

The hibiscus has flowers but few leaves. It's also very old. It is my hope to narrow down the possible causes of this condition on behalf of the tree's owner who is not Internet savvy.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz