Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally my original Blue Satin went dormant

Posted by katrina1 OK 6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 25, 08 at 16:03

She was planted as a 3 gallon black nursery pot size 3 years ago.

This is a very beautiful blooming hardy hybiscus.

The first year I saw her blooms it made me want to plant more just like her.

Only thing; no local nurseries had any more. So I rooted several from tip cuttings that I got off her that year.

Now I have so many well developed young ones I am now giving this "mother" one to a friend.

Temps are in the mid 60s today, so I just dug it up and am resting a bit before taking it to my friend and helping her plant it.

I have been cleaning its main leader trunk every season after it has gone dormant, but if it establishes well for my friend by next summer it should fill in its canopy nicely. and should not need such drastic pruning again for another three years.

The reports are very true, those which list that the Satin Blue cultivar as being a very strong grower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally my original Blue Satin went dormant

Recently transplanted, "Mother" hardy hybiscus "Satin blue satin" is doing well. Yesterday, daytime highs rose into the 60 degree F range, and still she is staying dormant. Yeh!

Now over the timeframe of how long our fluxuating 30 degree drops in overnight temps endure, I keep hoping that she still should be able to keep her sap down and only use her, as of yet, non-frozen soil environment to develop a strong rooting structure for her continued growing success. That is; in face of the anticipated demands she could encounter in the upcoming 2009 growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here