Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes! I think I did my hibiscus in with frost!

Posted by bischinha 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 16:55

I got my hibiscus as a gift. I haven't any idea if it's hardy or tropical, it didn't have an info tag. I am guessing tropical. It has deep pink flowers and heart shaped leaves that are scalloped on the edges. I planted it in the ground, and figured it would be fine in the winter. Tons of people around my neighborhood have them in the ground, and they do well. It was a super star all spring, summer, and fall.It still had blooms on it until the other night. It got down to 25, and I came out in the morning to find my hibiscus totally wilted. However, part of the back side and bottom of the plant are still green and happy. Is it a goner? Should I dig it up and try moving it indoors, or will it be okay during the winter? A couple of people have assured me that, "This is what happens to plants in the winter. It will come back."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes! I think I did my hibiscus in with frost!

When you say that other "people have these in the ground", do you mean tropical hibiscus or just hibiscus. Tropical hibiscus are not hardy where you are. Perennial hibiscus are.
If you end up having a tropical, get it out of the ground.
Here's a link to the care of tropicals in locations where they aren't hardy.
I would think it will be fine once it's in a pot and in warmer temps. I would let it go dormant since it's already going down that road.
Good luck!
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing tropical hibiscus up North

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here