Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanted blue hibiscus - help!

Posted by bnewcol 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 17:09

I transplanted a very healthy blue hibiscus from front yard into back yard a week or so ago...it is still in shock and leaves all curled up and dried. It is very moist soil back there, so there is no lack of water. Have I killed it? I hope not. Will it come back? Do they like consistently wet soil or does it need to dry out? I am in SoCal with very clay soil. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanted blue hibiscus - help!

It isn't enough to have the surrounding soil moist because the roots aren't there yet. Instead, the roots are still only within the rootball that you moved.

So, if you haven't watered that area, you need to.

o

I did water the rootball before it went into the hole and have been watering it consistently since. My concern was that maybe it has too much water? I didn't know if they were water sensitive. The area where it come from was not as wet as where I put it. Do they need a dryer soil?

o

Just a stab here, but since the new area has a lot of clay in the soil, it could be that it is too wet and also that the roots are not getting enough time to "breathe." If that is the case, root rot will set in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here