Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_h_2009

Hibiscus Rooting

chris_h_2009
14 years ago

We have an apricot hibiscus and are going to attempt to root into more plants, we are going to be clipping and putting into perlite with rooting hormone, but any suggestions would be great. We have never done this so advice would be good.

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

You're on the right track.
    This link is great.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics - propagation

• xineohpinakc
    14 years ago

I rooted all mine. I didn't use the method above. No rooting hormone or anything and left the leaves on. I put the cuttings in small pots and placed in a 10 gallon aquarium with an incandescent light fixture lid. I used a CFL bulb that was rated for outdoor light. They all rooted and very quickly (about 1-3 weeks depending).

I spray mist them every few days.

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

That situation sounds great - aquarium with grow lights. I'm going to be trimming mine back very soon. I have an aquarium (with fresh water fish), with my orchids on top and a grow light above. I'll try putting the cuttings on that. I have had bad luck rooting these guys, so I need to try something else. Although I have had great luck rooting Chinese Lantern hibiscus (Hibiscus schizopetalus) with the method described in the link.
    Lets see how both methods stack up against each other.
    Barb

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz