Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieanddj

My Tree is Drooping

katieanddj
17 years ago

My husband bought a beautiful orange hibiscus that had been trimmed into a tree for our daughters' memorial garden. It is drooping....bad! We have lost half our leaves. I have tried miricale grow and water..is there anything out there that is REALLY good for this type of plant. I am willing to try anything to not have this tree die on us..hense the memorial garden.

THANK YOU!!!

Comments (6)

• sooth
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Katieanddj,

Where do you live? Not your street address; I mean to ask for the location of the hibiscus---(One of the reasons I am asking is because if it were to be here in this part of Florida, especially out in the open spaces, then perhaps it got a really bad wind-whipping). How long have you had the hibiscus? When did it begin the drooping? Also, do you know whether it is the tropical variety? Do you have it ground planted or containerized?--positioned in full sun?---part sun?--- which part of the day? How much watering has it been receiving?

Sorry about all these questions of specification, they're in hopes to help restore your hibiscus. My heart goes out to you (Katie and DJ?......gosh, how my heart goes out for you).

• katieanddj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We are in Arizona. No winds. We just planted it in our raised planter. The soil is brand new so I added fertilizer. We took it out of the pot and planted it right into the ground. THe leaves just started drooping and have now half fallen off. I soak it about ever third day. It is in morning sun..around 60 degrees. The leaves that are still on it are drooping but are not turning yellow like the rest did...maybe it is on its way back. Would you suggest using tree spikes/bush spikes to fertilize it? THANKSS

• sooth
    17 years ago

Katieanddj, it sure sounded like the transplant blues in your first post and it's good to hear the Hibiscus seems rebounding, hooray!

Depending on what type of soil medium was used for the raised bed (and how loose or fast draining it is), and what type fertilizer (liquid, granule; quantity, lasting-effects-duration) was added to the new soil at planting, my gut feeling is to say hold off on adding any new ferts. One of the main reasons is because I don't know at which elevation you are in Arizona. Here's a linky to AZ Climates to help get across what I mean by elevation levels. The drooping dealy sorta makes me wonder about what's happening at night in your area. (I haven't lived in Arizona but spent close to five years in NM --lol---is that kinda close enough to offer any tips for your Hibiscus? Arg! I don't know!)

Differing elevation levels, even tho all might be categorized as zone 9, causes me to wonder about the micro-climate of your Hibiscus which seems to really want to become established. And, I don't know which variety yours is. A zone 9, at certain elevations, can be too chilly this time of year, especially as nighttime temps dip. Your hibiscus may need some protection from that, maybe moreso, than it needs anymore fertilization. My feeling is that it may need help establishing itself at the root level and the new growth appearing on the above-ground portion of the Hibiscus, will follow ---eventually. New growth might be already noticed, but I'd still hold off on adding any more fert because of the fear of accidentally burning it while its still in a stressful state; and that colder nights could foul up its emergence from stress.

As the warmer nights come back to your area (depending on your elevation---lol!) with more frequency, with new growth becoming clearly evident and the described drooping (which might be caused by chillier nighttime temp) lessens down to non-existence; that means your tree is on its way to full recovery, and that'd be a better time to reconsider a fertilizer, generally speaking. Your tree is so special that I urge you to keep seeking opinion for it, and take only the advice which suits its specific needs the very best.

Hey, I just got an idea and hope this link works: Pheonix average monthly temps. If you don't live in that city, put your zip code in the search box, then scroll down toward the bottom of that page, and click the light blue bar labeled "Typical Weather". By doing that, you've just armed yourself with more AZ-wise know-how! :o) lol--'course you might have that info already.

One more link that might help you determine which type of Hibiscus yours is, meaning if you are unsure: tropical or perhaps not.

As the nighttime temps continue for now becoming cooler, even in my area of Florida, I noticed a couple of droopy leaves on my Hibiscuses (they're around nine years old; transplanted as young ones). We had a big wind whipping prior; may have been caused by that. But getting back to fertilizers....one of my neighbors fertilizes the heck outta her Hibiscuses, bam, bang, boom, all at once, I think twice a year and they've thrived for six years. Hers are double-blooming reds. Mine are double-bloom white, and if I were to fert like her, mine would burn like crazy mad, so they much prefer less amounts of fert more often and thrive as well. Both are tropical Hibiscus, in the same zone, except receive differing sun amounts, wind patterns, and watering times. lol---That's why I recommend you to keep seeking the precise knowledge you need for your exact type of Hibiscus in its unique location. Yours has such special meaning.

Hoping others will chime in with general or AZ advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the kind I have.

• sooth
    17 years ago

I just got another thought....stick your finger down into the root-ball of the Hibiscus. Make sure you are feeling for the inside of the root-ball. Check the feel for its dampness; sometimes a root-ball can become too dry (extreme case dried-out to the point of being hydrophobic and will shed watering off itself while the soil all around it remains wet), and one of the signs for that is leaf droop. It may be that lack of moisture at the root level probably isn't what your Hibiscus experiences, but just thought to say something about it. Ironically enough....under-watering and over-watering can look a lot alike! lol! The finger test at the root-ball level helps. :o)

• sooth
    17 years ago

In my second post I said, "...I think twice a year..."

hahahaha

• sooth
    17 years ago

Whoops. I came back to pass along another link and noticed there are two forgotten mentions in my second post.
    Pheonix average monthly temps. If you don't live in that city, put your zip code in the search box, click "GO," then scroll down toward the bottom of that page, and click the light blue bar labeled "Typical Weather". Correction bolded. lol.

The other thing I forgot to say is that my Hibiscuses have been transplanted twice to different spots (during the very wrong times of the year in my ignorance) after being initially transplanted into my yard the first time, which was also the wrong time of year here. One didn't make it. Good grief, the story is long, boring, and mostly dumb, so I won't go into the reasons why they were moved about so much. Just wanted to give you a little sparkle of hope on how for mostly the Hibiscuses bounce back and apparently forgive my errors to them. Btw, the main fert that I use is Bayer Advanced (mainly this product, because it helps keep the many bad, rotten, evil lol! bugs at bay). I follow the directions on the label and supplement that with homemade mixtures and concoctions (i.e., liquefied cinnamon byway of a used coffee filter; watered down vinegar shots; baking soda sprits, etc...) as needed. And I sing to them, too--the off-key, goofed up lyrics, approach. They hear a lot of Tony Toni Tone (Blues), lately, and reward me with making a home for the cutest little aqua-marine gem-like tree frogs and also those tiny beautiful Florida Green Anoles. Gosh I really love my white hibiscuses for that, keeping them safe(r) from harm. I know most folks grow them for blooms, but that to me is only icing. :o) Before I forget, my neighbor uses a fert from Lesco...pretty sure it's this one. Hers look really good too. Just wanted to give you the gist about differing ferts available that folks will use for their hibiscuses; two that seem just as good to the two who use them. Neither of us use spikes (I forgot to address that question earlier, so that means a total of three forgotten mentions! lol).

Anyway, I came back to this thread because earlier this morning while surfing for info on one of my palms, I stumbled across a handbook-type website which seems good enough to bring back to you. Have a look thru it. Click on a couple of the chapter headings (there's watering, fertilizing, winterizing, soils, etc., advice)--- you'll see what I mean. Maybe you already have it, but just in case you don't click the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Master Gardener Manual