Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

help with cutting back question plz

daniellalell
16 years ago

Hi, I have a hardy hib I planted in spring. I didn't know if I should cut it back in the fall or spring. I figured I'd leave it till spring..well, now it's lookin pretty sad from the couple frosts we had. It basically looks like crap, lol..not the winter interest I had hoped for. Being the very end of November, do you think I can still cut it down and it will come back in the spring? Or should I just leave the sticks? Do flowers come on new or old wood? or both? What should I do and what would be best for it?

Thanks,

Daniella

Comments (3)

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

Hello, Daniella, I need to know the same thing. This is my first year to have a hibiscus.

And an additional question, will it survive the winter in a garage with no doors in zone 8a, southerb Mississippi.

Jim

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

In my zone, which is quite a bit colder than yours, my hardy hibs die back to the ground each year. I have to cut them back completely. Some years I cut them back in the fall, some years I don't get around to it until the spring. They don't seem to care either way. I'd probably leave them until spring in our zone to see if the stems make it through your warmer winter. If they are completely dead in the spring, you can cut them back then. They will spring up from the roots like gangbusters in the late spring/early summer. The soil has to be pretty warm for them to sprout, so if they don't look much alive, give them time. Mine sometimes don't appear until almost June 1st. The blooms are amazing, though.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much Rose :)
    Daniella

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville