Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus no pods

Posted by Tonya_Fennig GA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 21:32

I have a friend who has a gorgeous dinner plate Hibiscus that gets loaded with blooms every yr. but...she has only ever found two seed pods on it. Can anyone tell me why that is and if there is something she can do to change that? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus no pods

Tonya_Fennig,
By the size of the bloom (dinner plate sized) I suspect it is H Mosheuotos. I have strange luck with mine. Your friend might have better luck pollinating themselves. I usually take a q-tip to mine early in the morning when the blooms fully open. Others might have different methods. Some plants take differently to pollination. As with Merkity, I have crossed a few tropicals with mixed results.
Ed

o

Thank You Ed, I did not even think of doing that. I will let her know to try that.
Tonya

o

Just a thought...if she is deadheading spent blooms, she is eliminating any possibilty of seed production.

o

I double cked with her and she is not deadheading. She has a lot of gorgeous flowers, the one mentioned especially and it gets a lot of blooms on it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here