Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspatial5

Confererate Rose care

bspatial5
18 years ago

Hi- New at this. I have a 1st time confederate Rose that did great when planted this past mid summer. Not sure if I should cut it back to a few inches above the ground now (It's going to be in upper 20's the next few days)or if I should just leave it alone. I have read that cutting it back will enhance the possibility of root rot if the soil stays too wet. Seems this could happen just as easily if not cut back.

Cuttings: Where should they come off the plant and is leaving them in water better than placing in soil. Should they be kept indoors until early Spring?

Thank you very much

Comments (2)

• seatofmypants99
    18 years ago

Do you have something you can mulch it with? Pine straw is best. Cut it back and mulch it to about 12-18 inches. Making a ring around it with chicken wire helps hold the mulch in place.

You can put the cuttings in a bucket of water and keep inside, but you have to change the water regularly to keep it fresh.
    I used to keep mine on an enclosed back porch in zone 7. It never froze.

• bspatial5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You have answered my questions clearly and completly. I have done as you suggest. Hopefully, I'll have some new plants next spring.
    Many Thanks

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!