Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhokie926

How to overwinter tropical hibiscus in pots?

jimhokie
10 years ago

I have several tropical hibiscus plants in pots that I bought new last spring. In previous winters where I've tried overwintering them in my garage, I can't seem to get them to recover in the spring soon enough to bloom before late summer. When I bring them back outside after the last frost, they start to grow new foliage well, but it has always taken 3 months or more to start blooming again. If I want blooms all summer, I have to buy new plants. What is the secret to overwintering them and then getting them kickstarted in spring to bloom early?

My garage is attached to my house with a room above it, so it stays reasonably warm--probably never lower than 55-60 degrees on the coldest days/nights of winter. And there are two windows on one side and one window on another....not a lot of light, but not dark for sure.

What should I do as far as pruning, fertilizing, watering, or anything else that may be important to getting them to recover and bloom quickly in the spring? I put them into my garage about 2 weeks ago, and can usually take them back out in early April.

Comments (8)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Jimhokie,
    I think your over-winter tactics are perfect. Tropical Hibiscus go into a dormancy phase when they adjust and/or are subject to other than perfect environment.

The questions I would ask are as follows.
    The light levels seems low, could you provide more?
    What is you fertilizer/water routine for the winter?
    How often are you monitoring them?

I am asking this, not because I think you failed, but because I think you want more. Address the plant's needs, and success is infinite. I would love to assist further.

I attached a photo of part of one of my winter grow rooms. The plants are still blooming after 2 months of being indoors.

Ed

• kvenkat
    10 years ago

I have a Santana which I bought this summer. It has been indoors for over two months now. It just bloomed a couple days ago.
    Does it need a dormant period or can I keep it near a window and water once a week like my other houseplants?

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Kvenkat,
    I would continue what you are doing.
    Watch for over/under watering and cold drafts.
    Great looking bloom by the way.

Ed

• palmfan
    10 years ago

My indoor tropical hibiscus need lots of water in my sunny kitchen where they perform well. Just never keep them sitting in a water filled saucer.

• kvenkat
    10 years ago

Great! Makes life easier when I can treat my hib like my other houseplants. Thanks, Gutzmek.

• motherjan
    10 years ago

I have 2, 3 color (braided) hibiscus that I brought in the house in October of last year. One of them still has many beautiful leaves and the other no leaves left. I pruned it back, hoping this spring it will bloom again. I water maybe once a week and fertilize maybe twice a month. Any advice?

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think if you set up lights, as the others mentioned, in your garage over wintering area it would help a lot. Even cheap $10 T8 four foot double light fixtures from Walmart would help. They also put off some heat that can help warm your garage and a light timer can be as cheap as $4 so they turn on and off when you aren't there to do it. Or if you want less heat the same fixtures can take LED tubes.

I have many steel shelving racks in my art studio for thousands of gesneriads year round and all of my various tropical plants come indoors for the winter to share the warmth and lighting. My hibiscus, cinnamon, coffee trees, orchids and more.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA