Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloom Images 2 *sticky please*

Posted by RetiredFlorida 9 (floridabeachportraits@gmail.com) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 22:30

Love this bloom at my MIL's home. Thought the barn added to the image....

Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloom Images 2 *sticky please*

Another from my MIL's garden.

Darren

o

Lots of great posts! i really like that double orange i saw. (forgot whose it was atm). still hoping to see my Path before the cold stops all growth...its a very close race.

the voodoo magic looks great too! My black dragon is still looking a bit iffy to me...have to gently nurse it along until i can figure out why it isn't happy.

havn't got a new shot to post but i do have an interesting one. I came home the other night to find that my Hula girl had dropped its flower - but it was still fully open on the ground.

o

Darren,
The picture with the barn is excellent! Easily appreciated by those of us lacking artistic skill.
Merkity,
Be patient. The Sea Spray I got from HVH has yet to start a bud and was the plant damaged in shipping. Both it and VM are finally setting in and showing growth. This is nearly 2 months after I received them. My philosophy is treating them like kids. 'Provide a great environment to grow in. Don't over-react. Pamper when they are sick. And never over do it, or you end up with a "wimp" lol.
Below are some photos I took at our small botanical gardens of Hibiscus Moscheutos. Unfortunately I didn't take many of mine, or they are still babies. First is 'Robert Fleming'. It has similar leaves to tropicals. Bloom is dark red. The unusual fact is that it produces blooms all over the plant, and not just the tips like other hibiscus.

o

Next is 'Crown Jewels'. Similar flower to above, but the leaf pattern is different. It has a 3-5 split. "Looks like cannabis leaf". It also has faint red stem work.

o

I agree with Darren, we need an 'edit' button. Above is 'Lord Baltimore'. Below is 'Crown Jewels'. It has the 3-5 leaf split, but the stem work is red and the veins in the leaf are also red. Like 'Cranberry Crush', it has leaves with color effects.

o

Last 'HM' is 'Summer Storm'. It has 3-5 leaf pattern, red stems and leaves. One of my favorite 'HM' that I don't have.

o

Last one is an unlabeled Rose of Sharon single. It could easily be 'Minerva', 'Rose Satin'...etc.
Darren, your MIL's double looks like 'Lavender Chiffron'.
Ed

o

Beautiful blooms. You guys are gonna hate me, I bought two more hibiscus today but no names. For $4 I'll make up a name! Yeah, small plants but gorgeous. I bought a single orange and a exquisite double pink that, well I post pics tomorrow. Exhausted, 250 miles round trip to a plant sale. Fun but tired.

Darren

o

This is my Mahogany Splendor's first bloom since being planted. Pleasantly surprised. They say the blooms get lost on this plant but I disagree, it is large enough to say "here I am"!

Thanks for the id on the Rose of Sharon Ed.

Darren

o

Darren,
That's a great looking plant and bloom. Seems I may have to keep an eye out for it next spring.
Ed

o

OK. What is this? Bloom is not quite open all the way but I was afraid it might look as good tomorrow.

o

My guess would be LUNA RED HARDY HIBISCUS aka Hibiscus Moscheutos. Beautiful bloom.

Darren

o

Great looking plant and bloom. It is a perrenial Hibiscus Mosheutos. These are water lovers and even grow in standing water. It has a classic Crimson bloom that many have. It has obvious red stems and red veins in the leaves. The front leaf has the typical tear drop look, but I see what looks like split leaves behind. I do not own a 'Luna Red', but this looks more like 'Cranberry Crush'. I don't think 'LR' has red veins in the leaf. Olddog, can you send a picture of the entire plant? Might be easier to identify as there are only subtle differences in Hibiscus Mosheutos cultivars.
Ed

o

I've been watching the buds on this plant for weeks it seems, probably over a week.........feels like forever. I thought this plant was going to be yellow but much to my surprise and delight today, it was not.

As usual, I have no name, sorry.

Darren

o

This bloom today was a surprise too. Previously identified as White Wing it hard a noticeable and pleasant yellow tinge on the white petals.

Darren

o

Darren: Your top bloom that you thought would be yellow looks very much like a bloom that is being called Fort Myers. It seems to be a shade of yellow but has streaks of pink or light red running through it. It makes for a very pleasant bloom and I like it a lot.

As for the white wing, we all seem to be getting some kind of strange bloom this year. This is what keeps us excited about our plants as well as driving us all a little crazy at times.

Ain't it fun!

o

Darren,
I still like that first bloom. Been searching data bases for it. I agree with Olddog. Been some strange items this year. I am definitely winning the war against the bugs here, but the dry air and light change is producing more flowers on some plants, and others gave up. As long as they survive the winter I'm happy. If I get a flower or two is a bonus. They appear healthy, so I'm doing some pruning to get more surface area for blooms to grow next spring.
Ed

o

Ed,

That above orange? That is an entirely different plant than the other orange single I posted (last thread?). That is a much hardier and thicker plant, bloom, I realize you can't tell from a photo is much larger. They have very similar blooms, both are gorgeous and thus my surprise to have two single oranges. This bloom, 3 images up, is the first to come off that plant.

The bloom in this post is from a very small plant I bought at a plant sale last weekend, $4 I think. Love it! No name attached. Love the way it almost looks like an Azalea.

Thanks Olddog for the ID.

Darren

o

with the colder weather - here is a shot of my Butterfly sporting a petaloid and only four pollen pads.

o

RetiredFlorida I looked on the web for more information on that Mahogany Splendor but found only plants. So I presume they do not produce seeds? Someone was nice enough to send me a cutting but it seems to have been too tender as it finally died. If you can provide anymore information on this plant I would appropriate all the info you could provide. I enjoy all the great photos. Here in Texas where I live all my hibiscus have stopped blooming until next year. Again thanks for all your post.
Paul

o

Paul,

Sent you an email. I have not seen or collected any seeds from my mahogany splendor yet. It propagates supposedly from pups and from cuttings well. I plant on starting some more cuttings this weekend.

This plant gets tall too. I have seen them over 8' tall.

Darren

o

Mom sent an image of White Wings. This is the house in California she inherited when my Grandmother passed. Makes me wish I lived there to grow plants this size. Must be 15 foot. Something to look forward to Darren.
Ed

o

Ed,

I like this bloom so much I put it fairly close to the front of my home and probably 4' off my sidewalk. I'm not sure I'll let it get that big but it sure looks like it will be a healthy bush. Gorgeous plant thanks for sharing.

o

This bloom from my Cajun Spice was my favorite this year!

o

Beautiful bloom Mimigold! Gotta love the gradient color on this plant.

o

My Butterfly today - surprisingly, my plants haven't gone into their hibernation stage yet.

o

GRRRRR - this one is supposed to be my new "the path" unfortunately it has yet to actually open a flower - seems to be a very slow grower at the moment.

o

A few seedlings I have going - one of them has developed some very interesting leaves....

o

Here are a few blooms I took while vacationing in Cameron Highlands.

o

Wow, the thread is gaining momentum.
MimiGold, your Cajun Spice is awesome. I love Dupont hibs and have quite a few. And I plan to get more.
Merkity, I can't wait to see the hybrid blooms. I plan to constrict mine this winter to see the blooms as early as possible. Sea Spray is my only H-RS with splayed leaves, and it only has 3 toes. Curious to see what you get.
Coralred, great photos. Personal items of note. I'm a sucker for singles, and the double red is interesting.
Ed

o

Merkity,

I have one of those 3 toed hibiscus. I was one of the first big box store hib's I bought late spring. It was failing because of the serious bug infestation. Once I got the bugs under control I potted it and now it is coming back with vigor but has not bloom. Will have to share a photo as soon as it blooms.

Coralred that double red is sweet, looks to be almost salmon.

As a side note, was at my MIL's this past weekend and got some 3in1 seeds for the "original" confederate rose...........ohyeahhhhhh! The plant is so big and they're having freezes right now I should have taken a cutting but I hate to be greedy.

Darren

o

Here are quite a few more from my visit to the Flower Dome at Gardens by the Bay.

o

More single blooms for Ed.

o

Such beauties, thanks coralred. Yes I am addicted to singles, and I plan to collect them all. Lol. I think I see a selection of Dupont and originals in the images. Seminole Pink, Creole Lady and maybe Bon Temps? You captured great pictures. Hope to see more. Something about the colors.
Ed1

o

Here are the last few pictures.

o

Coralred that double white is sweeet! The last image reminds me of the days when I grew a few roses and would get dozens of blooms on a bush. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Darren

o

I agreed Darren. I hope I can get pictures like the last two in the next few years. Good pruning and care will tell. My Brilliant Reds had endless flowers in this fashion last summer. I don't have problems pruning year or two old hibiscus, but its so had to start chopping away at the youngsters. Thanks Coralred. I can sit and stare at plants like that for hours. Something hypnotic about it.
Ed

o

My Path finally opened - its super slow growing. it only took about a week actually open the bloom.

o

Merkity,

That is beautiful. The glossy/shiny leaves remind me of my plant that takes forever to bloom too!

Darren

o

Great looking flower Merkity. My Voodoo Magic is the same. Got the second bloom today, and the colors are different. I know its the temp, humidity, etc.
Ed

o

nice voodoo!

o

Very little activity in my garden the past week in comparison to prior weeks. Weather has stabilized and the hibiscus are loving it, 60's to 80 degrees forecast for the coming week!

Had four plants blooming today but will share one that I saved from near death. I dug it out of the yard and potted it. Bloomed for the first time since and I have a double that I had forgotten that I bought! Oh yeah.

Darren

o

This is the first bloom off the latest addition to the yard! Ok, the leaves are prettier, but it is blooming.

More digging.....

Oh, it is the Fire Queen.

Darren

o

Got an early present. Red Riding Hood has two new blooms, and one has grey/silver rays near the eye. Gotta love it.
Ed

o

My trees have their own ornaments. Happy Holidays everyone.
Ed

This post was edited by Gutzmek on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 19:10

o

Simply GORGEOUS, everyone - WOW is all I can say!!!!

o

Here is one of my Panama Reds that I got off the bargain bench..They said it rarely blooms...

Craig

o

This is my first hibiscus - a Fijian variety. It's summer here in Tauranga, New Zealand and this is my first bloom.

o

fpnmf you plant looks very much like my mahogany splendor and mine is a prolific bloomer. This is a great hibiscus, blooming all along the stems and grows extremely well from cuttings.

Mike Gaynor, you're off to a fantastic start! Gorgeous bloom. Be careful, collecting these is .............rather addicting.

Darren

o

Couldn't agree with Darren better. I looked and simple research show to be different, but visually they look the same. Either way, I will get one or two next year. These are must haves for perennial hibiscus growers like me.
Mike, that's a great healthy plant. And as Darren said, be careful, lol.
Ed

o

Bump

o

And we all love Vodoo Magic! At the time, I teased my wife about buying a "brown flower"! I have reformed since then. It echoes the brown German Iris of my youth.

o

Hardy Hibiscus - Blue River ll

o

Spice Cake

o

High Voltage

o

Saffron Moon

o

Gorgeous blooms Hibiscusmaniac! Can't make up my mind which one I like more, the blue river or spice cake. Super sweet!

o

Ms President

o

Here is a pic of my newest plant - Burnt Saffron

o

Canary Song

o

Wild Grape

o

Cindy's Heart

o

Rainbow Sherbet

o

Expect Miracles

o

Electric Pizzaz

o

Heartthrob

o

High Voltage

o

a couple recent blooms..
this one is my path...the bush isn't very happy - have to figure out why still...

o

hot ticket

o

Chorus Line

o

Merci Beaucoup

o

Canary Song

o

Burnt Saffron

o

Tahitian Princess

o

I like the Tahitian princess, may get one at some point.

o

June's Dragon

o

Radiant

o

Daisy Mae

o

Heaven Scent

o

Grape Cola

o

WOWSER,you guys have some gorgeous plants!!! I have some hibiscus,but I never knew there were so many other different kinds.Can't pick just one.!!
Kathi

o

Garden Pleasure

o

Acapulco Gold

o

Cloud Soft

o

Cindy's Heart

o

High Voltage

o

Climax

o

Berried Treasure

o

White Lightning

o

Radiant

o

Sunny Day

o

Hibiscusmaniac,
May I suggest you start a new string for bloom images? At 91 responses to the original, the majority of members may ignore this one.
Ed

o

Beautiful!!!!i just got started with 3 but I can hope to get the beauties that you all have shown here!! I love this forum!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here