Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aocain_gw

please help me ID my hibiscus!

aocain
14 years ago

hello my plant was very dear to me- it was found in the middle of the river in georgia- growing wild but dying from insect infestation- so we removed part of it and it grew huge for many years - it finally died and i would love to replace the plant with the right one.. it was also planted outside at one point and grew over 6 feet tall and had dark green leaves and it was white with almost pionty blooms with red- dark dark red eye large eye too....

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/aocain/allithehybisqis.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/aocain/12-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (12)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I have it. What do you have to trade?

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent yoou a message to see if you still had the plant at all.. i dont know why i didnt get an email saying i had a response.. but not long after posting i had my computer crash and lost everytjing so i couldnt even remember what forum i had been on.. if you still have it please let me know. I sent you some pics tobmake sure it was it. I cant try to post here

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As a bush

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Aocain,
    This looks like Hibiscus Lasiocarpos. It is a wild growing variety of swamp mallows, and enjoys a wet environment. I managed to run across several of these in Missouri last year growing next to the Mississippi River and collected several seed pods. I can send you some seeds to start if you like. Below is a link to the plant.

Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Lasiocarpos

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Here is a picture I took during the visit.

Ed

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh god that would make me soooo happy. I have so missed it. I got it when my fiancé went into the river and "rescued" it... it was dying it was just covered in spiders and stuff it looked like it was suffocating. I had it for so many ears.. my fiancé passed away and it was something that was apart of us. I had planted part of it at my parents old house in Alabama and took part of it with me when I moved back to texas.. and then my died suddenly. and my parents had moved and I even wrote the family that moved in and they had dug it out because it had completely covered the window area. is there variations? mine looks like it had pointed petals.. but otherwise it looks exactly like it even the leaves.. whch is what usually told me looking at others that they were not the same.
    I don't have a lot to trade for I moved into a smaller apartment last year and had tp give away most of my large plants.. my new place only has the front small porch no balcony..but I could put it right next to my front door and it would get good sun. But I do have a few plants nothing very special.. some succulents and a devils backbone a large snake plant and other s that are just regular houseplants. but I will send you something if you want and can you put a note on how to grow it.. I never had a lot of luck with seeds before.. I tend to either drown them pplant too deep not deep enough etc..lol. have you grown it from those seeds? any tips?
    Than you so much. it means a lot to me.. I know it may seem silly.. its not tech. the same plant.. but it is...

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Aocain,
    Please let me express my condolences on your loss! And although I have have not experienced the loss of a life partner, I did loose several friends in the military. I would be honored to assist in helping you get "something" that has meaning.

Ed

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ed..
    did you get my email? I wasnt sure if i did it right.
    Just want to make sure.

Alli

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ed..
    did you get my email? I wasnt sure if i did it right.
    Just want to make sure.

Alli

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Alli,
    I am sorry if I have not responded.
    I did receive your email and will send a response. I will add my work email also.
    Ed

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Alli,
    Did you receive my email?

Ed

• aocain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Uto my real email address? I did ... didnt i write you back? It was a week or so ago right? Damn i dont know what happened. I will get on my regular email and look for it. I know i have a real email for you that you sent.. sorry i thought it got sent to you.. sorry.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21