Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babywatson

Tropical Hibiscus Tree

babywatson
16 years ago

I have one that I bought this summer. I repotted it this summer and it did well. I have brought it in for the winter and have it in a sunny window. It is dropping some leaves. Up till a day or so ago, it still had blooms. In the summer, the plant could not get enough water and I watered it everyday. However, now I am wondering how often I should water. Any help is appreciated. I'd just like to keep it going till spring. Then it can go outside again.

Mary

Comment (1)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

It will drop leaves from coming in but if it is in a sunny window will find an equilibrium. I still find I water mine inside more than I would think but do let them run drier than outside. I would suggest letting it dry to slight wilt then water it well and see how long it takes to go to slight wilt again this will give you a ballpark to work with. The biggie I see is that with more cloudy days (here) in the winter I can't use a schedule but just have to check them every few days and if the pot is light then I water if not I wait a day and then check again. It takes some trail and error but is IMHO the best way to know that you are not over-watering your hib. In almost every case it will come back from a little too dry better than being kept a little too wet. Some folks like to mist their hibs for humidity other put them in the shower a few times throughout the winter. These are just some of the things to consider when caring for your baby this winter.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David
    P.S. I have four inside right now and they have gone nuts with blooms again. It started some freezes here about a month ago and I have had them in more than out since then. But they do get several hours of direct morning sun if it is not foggy or cloudy during that time period.

Sponsored