Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gutzmek

Root Pruning

Gutzmek
11 years ago

Thought I might add my root pruning photos from today. First image is the surface after I stripped a few inches of soil and roots.
Ed

Comments (6)

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the root ball after I removed it. Looks a little congested.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lastly, I chopped out the bottom quarter of roots. Added some fresh soil in the bottom of the pot. Then I added more to the top and sides. And yes, we did this in the kitchen on a tarp, as It is below freezing outside.
    Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Nice visual tutorial Ed. I've never kept potted plants long enough to do this,haha. Thanks for posting.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ya, ya Darren. Not all of us live in the tropics. Wife would kill me if I moved there. I would have the entire outside covered in plants.
    Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Awww Ed, I wasn't implying because I live here in florida and put everything in the ground rather, everything we've ever kept indoors eventually was neglected. Don't ask me why?

Trying to be good and trade for all my acquisitions now because I have been spending probably too much on new plants.....yeah, it is a problem. She did "put her foot down" on an area near our front door that she doesn't want planted as it would block our view of the local exercise trail.

Darren

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am with you there Darren. Its the middle of winter, and I pre-ordered 2 more tropical hibs to be delivered this spring. Wife and I constantly debate the plants. She is getting into passion plants, and this is helping. As I have no experience, I can only support her. We have several house plants, violets, cacti, etc. For me it has a different meaning. I spent years training to be a killer, now I nurture, and it is soothing. But I digress. Will have plants ready to ship this spring.
    Ed

Sponsored