Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw2010nc

Cross pollination

gw2010nc
13 years ago

I have a double coral/orange and a single Red and I crossed the stigma of the orange double with pollen from the single red. The seed pod is now developing.

Any idea for what the seeds will produce? Single/Double/Red/Orange/?

I also crossed 2 flowers of the single red and I think those are also forming seeds - what will those progeny be like?

Is it worth trying to grow these?

Comments (6)

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

plant genetics aren't really an easy to understand, follow the rules kind of thing. without knowing what the parentage or your plants and the parentage of their parents and so on, it's hard to tell exactly what you'll get. i would assume the majority would be singles and the colors could be just about anything, but most will probably be reddish. as for whether or not they're worth growing, that's completely up to you. if you've got the time and space, i say go for it, if nothing else it'll be a learning experience.

• mike423
    13 years ago

Yep the offspring grow from seeds will have any varying trates in different ratios/amount of the the two parent plants. Like children know two will look exactly alike. This experimentation is how many new breeds are made.

As for propagation, most nurseries and businesses do so from cuttings, as they will then be clones of the parent plant and have the exact same trates and characteristics as the parent. This is done with many plants that have problems with variation when grow from seed, such as Japanese Maples,flowering trees and shrubs etc...

If on the other hand you are trying to make some new variations, find some interesting candidates and cross breed them. You never know, you could come up with the next new beautiful species.

Just be careful if crossing tropical with hardy species as you might not get a plant with the hardiness desired.

-Mike

• steezeven
    13 years ago

The coolest I hear is the F2 generation which is when recessive traits show up so whatever you grow from these first seeds (F1 generation), crosspollinate those with each other and you should end up with some really weird combinations of traits.

Some background on basic genetics:
    the seeds you get from this first cross will be the F1 generation and should all be the same as in the first generation dominant traits are expressed. If you pollinate the F1 plants with themselves you get the F2 generation in which recessive traits will first show up.

Now I'm assuming that red is the dominant color in hibiscus so your F1 generations will all be red but you never know about the F2. I'll take some seeds if you have any extra :P

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

I agree with Cody - go for it! Most likely you'll get plants that look like a cross between the two, the the red being a bit more dominant...BUT, you never know!
    I have two hibiscus that do not look alike at all, 'Irish Spring' and 'Nightmare', who are from the same Mother and Father plants. The parentage is Yucka x Roz Merritt.
    it's always an adventure!
    Barb

• Carmel704
    13 years ago

my hibiscis plant has had many seed pods over the last few years. We have lots of little plants but none of them have ever flowered. Will they ever?

• gardeniarose
    12 years ago

Just wondering how one would go about marketing their proven (well, proven in my own backyard) seedlings. I have two seedlings that are now 4 years old, both of which have blooms that remain open for 3 days, regardless of temperature. They are "siblings" of the same cross (F1) and they are own root. Any help would be appreciated. Do I have to start my own nursery? I have no space at home.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner