Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philc21

Hibiscus indoors?

philc21
17 years ago

Im attempting to keep a potted hibiscus indoors in my chameleons enclosure. it has a 100watt reptile light(replicates all aspects of the sun's rays) above it so i figure light shouldnt be a problem, but ive recently started to have some leaves turning yellow but others arent wilting so i figure its not from lack of water. and i cannot get it to bloom any more the 12 or so buds that were on it when i got it bloomed and fell but i cant get any more buds to form. any ideas on what could be wrong or any tips on how to keep one indoors?

Comments (5)

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

It just may take it some time to readjust to artificial light and once that'happened, if other conditions like humiidity and constant soil moisture etc. are met, it should start growing new flower buds. Really depends on whether the light for the chamaeleons are strong enough however as well!!

• yellowthumb_2007
    17 years ago

I have a similar question--on this topic...

I inherited a tall red hibiscus tree that is mainly kept outdoors during the summer and spring--and beginning of fall (i am in zone 7) the previous owner told us to water the tree everyday with some fertilizer in the water (miracle grow type stuff) so we did and it bloomed very well--we brought in indoors this past winter (2005) and all the leaves turned yellow and dropped immediately, leaving only the top most leaves--it bloomed well indoors throughout the winter )with little leaves up and down the branches, but nothing large and beautiful (only at the top as I said) we then brought it outdoors for the spring and summer 2006 --the thing THRIVED! it grew huge and bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. As the cold started to set in, we again brought it indoors as the leaves were beginning to wilt outside. IT again turned all yellow and dropped all the leaves (only the top most..) the thing looks pathetic --I will post a picture once my camera charges. This is the thing, I have a moisture tester and it says it is in zone 2 (where the package says it should be) but it looks just plane pathetic with only leaves at the top. It is indoors--just on the opposite side of where it sits during the summer and spring months--the only difference being it is now on the other side of a window--with wooden blinds (but light still gets through.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

• yellowthumb_2007
    17 years ago

Here are links to the pictures for the above post:

{{gwi:902153}}

{{gwi:902155}}

{{gwi:902157}}

{{gwi:902160}}

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

The only thing that strikes me is that those dead leaves have held on for so long and not been shed, but as for the loss of lots of leaves, I have the same problem here almost every year, and if you've had all the cloudy gloomy wether we've had for months it does tend to make them lose more leaves than in a sunnier winter, or at least I think so. They always suffer a bit with the move back indoors from most folks I've talked to , though yearly fluctaations could be the weather outdoors affecting them. Some of my plants are losing far more leaves than usual and I think its the lack of many sunny days!

• blistexluv
    17 years ago

looks totally normal. we've kept tropical hibiscuses for years, putting them outside in the summer, inside in the winter, and they do drop tons of leaves inside. it'll get worse before it gets better :O we keep our (many) hibiscuses out of the limelight during the winter since they look so bad!

your best bet is to overwinter the plant in a semi-dormant state, rather than expect it to look its best. put it in a window where it gets good light, for good winter light is weak enough to let it rest. obviously also water less.

Sponsored