Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianstpete

Making Hibiscus Bloom During Winter

BrianStPete
18 years ago

Hi,

I've got a stand of hibiscus trees that are very healthy, but three of them bloom only a little and one doesn't bloom at all. There's less sun, and it's colder of course. I've fed them for the winter -- low nitrogen, higher phosphorus -- but may I expect any serious bloom output through the next few months?

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I live in a similar clime and yours are acting the way mine always have - it's just not warm enough for them to bloom a lot. You'll get a few blooms here and there, but nothing like in the summer. They go somewhat dormant, so fertilizing won't help.
    Barb

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Brien, I'm assuming your hibs are in the ground, right?
    I have 5 tropical hibs and 1 hardy..(No matter what I did w/the hardy it'd never bloom) but I feed my tropical hibs yr round.
    I use a special hib food bought at either www.stokes-tropicals.com or www.plumeriapeople.com This fertizier is worth it..If your hibs bloomed this time before then they are capable of flowering in winter. Give this food a try..It's only for hibs, no other plants..Toni

• junglegina
    18 years ago

That's funny...I have the opposite problem...mine bloom like crazy in the winter and hardly anything when it's hot.

• pja17
    18 years ago

I thought mine were dead by the end of summer i just about gave up on them and once it cooled off, they grew about a foot and the blooms are magnificent. Mine have double flowers. maybe different strains have different preferences.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm