Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get my hibiscus blooming good again

Posted by parrothead_fa z10 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 10, 06 at 16:33

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum, wish I'd tuned in to it a while back. I have 3 standard hibiscus shrubs, the red or peach variety you get at most garden centers in 3 gal sizes. The first year or two, they bloomed like crazy. Lately, I've been getting a lot of growth, but not many blooms. I have had to cut them back severly 3 times this year, because they keep getting so tall they obscure the lights on the outside of the house. I don't want them to be real short, but 6' plus is a bit rediculous!
Is there a way I can train them to remain a bit shorter, 3-5 ft would be ideal, and produce a profusion of blooms? They are just regular garden variety hibiscus, but look so lovely when they are covered with 6" flowers. The sprinklers water them every other day, and I fertilise them with a 12-6-9 fertilizer twice a month. We are in zone 10 in south Florida. Any input would sure be appreciated.
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get my hibiscus blooming good again

Dave,
Since hibiscus bloom on new growth, pruning, although necessary sometimes, will stop that branch from blooming. It takes about 3 months for enough new growth to be produced for new blooms.
I take it you want to keep the standard shape. You'll have to prune it back quite a bit, so that when it does recover from the pruning and start to bloom, it's still a size you want.
What some people do, so that they can still enjoy blooms while keeping the plants size under control, is to prune 1/3 of the branches, leaving some of the branches alone to keep blooming. When the pruned branches bloom again, then they prune back another 1/3...etc.
Hope this helps,
Barb

o

Since I pruned all of my plants back does this mean they won't bloom at all this year, or just how long will it take to recover? I wish I'd found this site last year. I'm a fairly new gardner and learning through trial and error has cost me some beautiful plants and lots of dollars.

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 17:41

Three months of good, bright light should be enough to start getting flowers.

o

Water with 5 gallons of water and 5 tablespoons of Epsom salts monthly. Every 3 months, add 2 tablespoons super phosphate to the water. They will bloom like crazy.

o

i cut my Hibiscus back to 3" from the ground last winter. Stalks were about 3/4" round. I waited. All of a sudden in mid spring up shot new shoots.
Now it about 5' tall , very heavy on it's self.
No blooms yet. I water heavy regularly, here it is mid June & no blooms!
Should I tie the tree up to a post or let it be on its own?
Also, will I get blooms this year due to cutting all the way back last winter???
Please help someone!!

o

I'm new at this, but from what I've read, certain Hibiscus species (the rose-mallow and Moy grande) do not bloom till June, so I would be a little more patient and it will probably bloom in the next couple of weeks if you leave it along.

o

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

o

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

o

o

They all love food and water. My Red Texas Star Hibiscus will be blooming until our weather gets too cool. Then I hope my Confederate Rose Hibiscus kicks in and blooms.

o

Wally,do you give the Texas star the same treatment as your other hibiscus?? I have one also and this year it didn't bloom as much.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here