Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

How to get my hibiscus blooming good again

parrothead_fa
17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum, wish I'd tuned in to it a while back. I have 3 standard hibiscus shrubs, the red or peach variety you get at most garden centers in 3 gal sizes. The first year or two, they bloomed like crazy. Lately, I've been getting a lot of growth, but not many blooms. I have had to cut them back severly 3 times this year, because they keep getting so tall they obscure the lights on the outside of the house. I don't want them to be real short, but 6' plus is a bit rediculous!

Is there a way I can train them to remain a bit shorter, 3-5 ft would be ideal, and produce a profusion of blooms? They are just regular garden variety hibiscus, but look so lovely when they are covered with 6" flowers. The sprinklers water them every other day, and I fertilise them with a 12-6-9 fertilizer twice a month. We are in zone 10 in south Florida. Any input would sure be appreciated.

Dave

Comments (11)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Dave,
    Since hibiscus bloom on new growth, pruning, although necessary sometimes, will stop that branch from blooming. It takes about 3 months for enough new growth to be produced for new blooms.
    I take it you want to keep the standard shape. You'll have to prune it back quite a bit, so that when it does recover from the pruning and start to bloom, it's still a size you want.
    What some people do, so that they can still enjoy blooms while keeping the plants size under control, is to prune 1/3 of the branches, leaving some of the branches alone to keep blooming. When the pruned branches bloom again, then they prune back another 1/3...etc.
    Hope this helps,
    Barb

• pennysue
    17 years ago

Since I pruned all of my plants back does this mean they won't bloom at all this year, or just how long will it take to recover? I wish I'd found this site last year. I'm a fairly new gardner and learning through trial and error has cost me some beautiful plants and lots of dollars.

• watergal
    17 years ago

Three months of good, bright light should be enough to start getting flowers.

• rcn10ac
    14 years ago

i cut my Hibiscus back to 3" from the ground last winter. Stalks were about 3/4" round. I waited. All of a sudden in mid spring up shot new shoots.
    Now it about 5' tall , very heavy on it's self.
    No blooms yet. I water heavy regularly, here it is mid June & no blooms!
    Should I tie the tree up to a post or let it be on its own?
    Also, will I get blooms this year due to cutting all the way back last winter???
    Please help someone!!

• audrey_gardener
    14 years ago

I'm new at this, but from what I've read, certain Hibiscus species (the rose-mallow and Moy grande) do not bloom till June, so I would be a little more patient and it will probably bloom in the next couple of weeks if you leave it along.

• jeromeb
    9 years ago

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

• jeromeb
    9 years ago

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

• jeromeb
    9 years ago

• wally_1936
    9 years ago

They all love food and water. My Red Texas Star Hibiscus will be blooming until our weather gets too cool. Then I hope my Confederate Rose Hibiscus kicks in and blooms.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Wally,do you give the Texas star the same treatment as your other hibiscus?? I have one also and this year it didn't bloom as much.
    Kathi

Sponsored