Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steinmetzj24

I need help with my hibiscus

steinmetzj24
11 years ago

So my grandma passed away and her hibiscus plant died
My uncles and aunts did not take care of it. Is there anyway
I can save it?It was her favorite plant.

Comments (6)

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Hi Steinmetzj24: A lot of people on this site are very well versed in raising Hibiscus but I'm afraid we need some more information.
    If the plant did indeed "die" then I know of nothing that can be done to bring it back.

Can you post a picture and/or give us some more data.
    Hibiscus are very sturdy plants and can recover from some "hopeless" situations.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Steinmetzj24,
    Sorry to hear about your Grandmothers passing. If the plant is indeed dead, I suggest starting a new one to 'carry the torch'. With your location, a RS Hibiscus would require a lot of work. I suggest a 3 yr old or more Syriacus Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon). They can be planted in the ground, and if cared for in the early years will produce a multitude of beautiful flowers that attract humming birds, butterflies, and bees. Some varieties will remain small, but others will grow into small trees.
    Ed

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

There should be enough members who could provide you with a cutting of what ever plant you lost. You would need to post a photo of what you would like if that is what you desire.

• denise12
    11 years ago

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

• denise12
    11 years ago

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

• rosco_p
    11 years ago

Denise 12: Yes! Don't give up hope just yet. Now that you have warmed it up I would scratch the bark and see if any of the green cambium layer (just below the bark) is appearing?...if it is you are in luck. If you see any green just wait a couple of weeks and you should start seeing sprouting of green tips at the nodes along the trunk and branch stems. Hopefully all will be OK. Good luck.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia