Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help with my hibiscus

Posted by steinmetzj24 Minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 17:57

So my grandma passed away and her hibiscus plant died
My uncles and aunts did not take care of it. Is there anyway
I can save it?It was her favorite plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help with my hibiscus

Hi Steinmetzj24: A lot of people on this site are very well versed in raising Hibiscus but I'm afraid we need some more information.
If the plant did indeed "die" then I know of nothing that can be done to bring it back.

Can you post a picture and/or give us some more data.
Hibiscus are very sturdy plants and can recover from some "hopeless" situations.

o

Steinmetzj24,
Sorry to hear about your Grandmothers passing. If the plant is indeed dead, I suggest starting a new one to 'carry the torch'. With your location, a RS Hibiscus would require a lot of work. I suggest a 3 yr old or more Syriacus Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon). They can be planted in the ground, and if cared for in the early years will produce a multitude of beautiful flowers that attract humming birds, butterflies, and bees. Some varieties will remain small, but others will grow into small trees.
Ed

o

There should be enough members who could provide you with a cutting of what ever plant you lost. You would need to post a photo of what you would like if that is what you desire.

o

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

o

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

o

• Posted by rosco_p z6a ont.canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 11:58

Denise 12: Yes! Don't give up hope just yet. Now that you have warmed it up I would scratch the bark and see if any of the green cambium layer (just below the bark) is appearing?...if it is you are in luck. If you see any green just wait a couple of weeks and you should start seeing sprouting of green tips at the nodes along the trunk and branch stems. Hopefully all will be OK. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here