Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitha1215

Hibiscus Not Blooming...

kitha1215
16 years ago

I have a hibiscus, and it's not a hybrid(spelling?), that's been planted since about May or June, maybe earlier than that. It's a red double and was full-grown when I bought it in a 2 gallon bucket. It's not blooming and I don't understand why. It looks kinda lifeless. It has green leaves and everything but I don't see any new ones growing. I cut it back once thinking it just needed a boost to flush out but it only grew back the same way. I can probably count on one hand how many flowers I've seen on the thing. Now I do want your input but I was wondering could it possibly be smothering from that black, plastic, trash bag like mulch that I put around it. Is it possible that it's not getting enough air or something? I cut it down a little bit recently just to see if the little leaves would start growing again and nothing happened. ~Sigh~ Is it dying?

Comments (6)

• watergal
    16 years ago

I assume it's a tropical hibiscus? Every time you prune them, it takes about 3 months' worth of growth before it will make buds there. So first step is to stop pruning.

Second, is it getting lots of sun? More sun = more blooms.

Third, what are your temps like down there? Blooming slows down a lot when it gets cooler.

Fourth, were you fertilizing at all over the summer and fall? If so, what kind of fertilizer?

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, yes it is a tropical and good to know that I need to stop pruning (lol). Secondly, it does get a lot of sun because it faces the east. Thirdly, yes it is more cold now so that's a relief to know that cooler temps slow down blooms. We're in the 50s. However, why is it that some hibiscuses are blooming in the 50 temps? Anyway, lastly I did do liquid fertilizer over the summer(Expert brand to be precise).

• watergal
    16 years ago

Sounds like you're on the right track. Give the plant time to make some buds before you prune any more. One trick - if you absolutely must prune to keep a plant to a certain size or some such reason - cut off the longest 1/3 of the branches, wait 4 to 6 weeks and cut off the next longest 1/3, then wait 4 to 6 more weeks and cut off the longest ones again. That way you'll always have some blooms coming along.

Fertilizer is important. The experts suggest that you avoid the "bloom booster fertilizers", those are the ones with the higher middle number in the formula. Choose one with a lower middle number instead. The higher number actually inhibits blooming in hibiscus for some reason. You can read more about it at www.trop-hibiscus.com if you're interested.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Feed it one tablespoon of Epsom salts with one gallon of water about once a month. The leaves will get green and glossy and it will put on blooms.

• pete_jackson
    16 years ago

Tropcial hibiscus will only grow after it's been in the 70s and if it's colder they will go to sleep for a couple weeks. If you want it to bloom feed your plant bloom burster food every 2 weeks and add some epson salts. I have over 30 plants in my garden and they are blooming every day. They only will bloom in cooler weather and grow in the summer

• tdj4449
    9 years ago

I have several hibiscus, 3 are large established plants( 10+years) others from this spring, all are looking green and healthy, and during the spring they all had numerous flowers, now they get lots of buds but don't flower, if a flower try's to come, it will fall of before it completely opens. I've tried hibiscus food, one problem we have had a wet and hot summer, HELP

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm