Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Help with an OLD hibiscus tree

Crenda 10A SW FL
9 years ago

This tree was planted long before we bought the house. It is entirely too close to the house (about a foot) and has never been trained. It stretches for light since it is between houses. It was damaged and totally uprooted by Hurricane Charley. Dumb me, I pushed it back in the muddy soil instead of using that opportunity to move it.

The branches weep, but it is not your typical pink Weeping Hibiscus. The flower is a deep rose or magenta double bloom. Flowers form all along the branch. They are not large, but are beautiful.

SO - - I'd like to grow another tree before this one bites the dust. I have grown some tip cuttings, but they curl quickly and give me a bushy pot instead of a tree shape I'd like. Woody cuttings are hit and miss. I tried brading some branches and only one survived.

Any suggestions for this tree are appreciated. I'd really like some suggestions on how to train these curly branches to grow straight so I can have a new tree to plant in a more appropriate setting.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer view of the newer branches. See how they curve? Is this the way the tree grows, or is there some deficiency - other than location - that needs addressed?

This post was edited by Crenda on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 18:22

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally, here is a picture of the flower. I had thought this might be a Confederate Rose, but the flowers do not start out white and the leaves didn't look right to me, either.
    (I really need to learn photobucket. Sorry for the multiple posts!)

This post was edited by Crenda on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 10:26

• merkity
    9 years ago

With the way the one splits I would be tempted to try and split the top from the bottom and root the whole thing. However I wouldn't try it until you have rooted a smaller branch or two. Looks a bit like it was trained to a tree shape and then branches formed at the base and weren't trimmed down.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if it was trained to a tree shape, or if a few branches ended up that way with no pruning. I'll admit that we neglected it, too, because we didn't know how to deal with the thick trunks.

I'll try to get a better picture or 2 tomorrow, but this picture shows the trunks(s) from the other side. Those areas sawed off were severely damaged or dead.

I agree about trying to root the tall branch. I marked where it is still straight. It is 2 inches in diameter. Would air layering be the best way to root this branch? Even that method recommends using a smaller branch.

If this plant truly prefers to be a bush, perhaps I should go with nature. I have room for a bushy plant elsewhere.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I am pretty sure that is a wonderful, vigorous type that is commonly used for root stock on hybrids. Unfortunately, the name has escaped me. Fairly easy to find though.

Tree forms take work. Remove everything except your "trunk" as it grows. Overtime it should develop as you intend. The vigor and shrubbiness of the plant may make that quite a battle. Good luck!

• merkity
    9 years ago

ah i see it now. it used to have a much bigger main trunk. I have zero experience with air layering - so can't help much there. sounds like it would be a great way to separate the plant out though. I have only been rooting cuttings for a short while - hence my caution on starting a few smaller branches before biting off the really big part of the plant. from the post above - sounds like this one should root up well for you. :) good luck!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will look for a couple of the longest, straightest stems (about the thickness of my little finger) and try rooting them while staked to maintain the straight shape. I tried this once before and the stem kept slipping the ties while trying to curve. And then a dadgum rat chewed into my lanai and ate the top half off! It ate several clippings from other hibiscus plants too. So I am back to square one on propagating.

I'll let you know if I try air layering the large branch. I think it is worth a try. And maybe directly rooting the branch will work, too. I'll do more research on both.

Thanks for your help! If I end up with a shrub, so be it. The flowers will still be pretty!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know if anyone noticed (I didn't), but the main trunk in the above picture is split. That stump, which appears to be the main one, is dead. So I am not sure how long this plant will live - or if it will attract termites. There may be more sprouting from the bottom, but I have my doubts. All of my landscaping is pushing 30 years old and I have been replacing or changing some of these old, spent plants. This one may be next.

Hopefully I will get plenty of tip cuttings to root near the end of February. And I have my doubts of finding a nice straight stem. When I said the stems curl, I wasn't kidding. Look at this one!

• merkity
    9 years ago

that is crazy! i do have one hibiscus that i would also describe as weeping branches. it looks like it should be hanging since the branches all angle downward instead of upwards.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert