Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

starting seeds inside in Dec?

daniellalell
16 years ago

I have a bunch of hardy dinner plate hib seeds. I really want them to bloom this coming summer. Is it too early to start the seeds indoors now? Has anyone ever tried starting in Dec? (I'm gonna do 1/2 now and 1/2 in the spring.)

I read on here some start theirs in Jan and they bloom in August, so I'm thinking if I start mine now they'll bloom in July? Am I wrong? Would it be harmful for them to be started now and kept under lights till they go outside (probably in April.)

Thank in advance!

Daniella

Comments (4)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

If you keep the seed at 70-80 degrees they should germinate ok and the the real challenge begins of making sure they get enough light to keep them happy until you can plant them outside. It can be done but will take some extra care and diligence on your part.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• boboz
    16 years ago

What kind of soil should the seeds be started in?

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boboz,
    I started mine in 6 parts perlite, 3 parts sphagnum, and 3 parts organic potting soil. They all came up well, but now unfortunately I have lost them all, the last 2 today due to damping off. I don't know why, but the last few days, some of my sprouts just decided to poop out on me. They were doing so well, I really don't understand what happened. I'm very disapointed. Especially at the loss of all my hibs.
    Good luck with yours!
    Daniella

• jln375
    16 years ago

i have started a few different kinds of hard hibs in jan, my lunas are about 5 in tall now, when and how do i pinch?

Sponsored