Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enoughcliches

Deformed leaves with brown scabs

enoughcliches
17 years ago

My hibiscus plant is developing deformed leaves but is otherwise healthy. I notice that below the deformed areas the leaf veins are covered in a brown scab that is easily scraped off with fingernails. Is this a symptom of a disease or pest? Thanks.

Comments (2)

• gardengrove_ac
    17 years ago

Most likely you have one of the thousands of species of scale insect. Are the leaves kinda shinny and sticky to touch? A scale is a tiny insect which reproduces and feeds like an aphid. Unlike aphids, scale attach their feeding parts to leaf tissue, then build up layers of lac around their bodies as they grow. This means the insect is more protected than soft-bodied species, but you can still use any number of commercial sprays or systemic powders would work. I'm personally inclined to recommend Insecticidal soap (I use Safer brand), equal parts parts rubbing alcohol and water, or Neem oil diluted to the proper strength, since I try to avoid the really hardcore synthetics unless its a bleak prognosis. If you choose to use one of these products you have to respray a few times in the next few weeks to make sure all bugs were hit, and kill off anything which has hatched.
    Peace,
    Nate

• enoughcliches
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information. So far, I've managed to control the mites by using a combination of water sprays and insecticidal soap. Recently, however, the plants seem to be under attack by caterpillars, including one white-ish leaf-rolling variety. Should I manually remove as many as possible, or simply sit back and hope that they will be controlled by natural predators eventually? I don't mind a few raggedy leaves, but I'm concerned that it might turn into an infestation and seriously threaten the hibiscus plants.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio