Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radovan_gw

how to speed up hibiscus growth

radovan
16 years ago

i have two little hibiscus rootings, different ones, planted not long time ago but they are looking fine, i don't know what kind are they and i really do not care. they are about 6 inches tall and they are under 24/7 light with temperature not lower than 25* Celsius.

question; is there a way to speed up their growing, i want them to grow faster ? thanks

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Probably not, unless you can identify a specific limitation occurring under your conditions. If no nutrients are deficient - are they being fertilized? - and light, temperature and moisture are suitable then it may just be because they are newly rooted. Later, when they are bigger they will grow faster.

• radovan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bboy, thank you very much. yes they are young and small. i did not fertilize them because i am afraid to burn them since they are young. i hope they survive until Spring time then i am going to take them outside and feed them.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

You can fertilize them at 1/2 the recommended strength with one of the blue fertilizer powders like MiracleGro or Peter's. Only do it once or twice before spring. You don't say where you are so spring may be weeks or months away. A couple of weeks before you plant them outside, tear up the soil about 2 feet square. Cover the spot with black plastic and hold it down with bricks or rocks, This will heat the soil. When ready to plant, cut a X for the hole in the middle of the plastic and add the plant. Fold the edges of the X under to expose some soil around the plant. The plastic will keep the soil warm to encourage growth and the reflected heat will encourage growth.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz