Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Hibiscus Soil & Fertilizer

Posted by mike423 5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 21:12

I have three different potted types of tropical Hibiscus's. Each pot has four separate plants in them and I wanted to repot them since they are kind of crowded and in unappealing nursery pots. I am used to mixing my own Bonsai soil mixtures so making my own concoction isn't a problem, and was wondering what soil mixture/s work best for tropical Hibiscuses in general and at what ratio. Also what sort of fertilizers and or supplements work best for tropical Hibiscuses? Thanks

-Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Hibiscus Soil & Fertilizer

Mike,
The key to proper potting soil for tropical Hibiscus is one with a good amount of organic material but that drains well. According to Hidden Vally Hibiscus, a mix made up of coco coir, peat moss, or composted bark to hold moisture and nutrients, along with sand and/or perlite to provide more drainage is great. Added organic ingredients that support beneficial microbial life in the pot, such as worm castings, bat quano, or other fully composted organic material, are very beneficial in the potting mix. You can also go to a nursery or garden center in your area and asking for a high quality potting mix that drains well and contains some organic materials. I would also make sure to add mycorrhizae to insure that the roots are optimally set up to absorb nutrients. HV has a great potting mix they sell, btw. As far as the correct fertilizers, this can be hard to find, since hibiscus really do NOT like to get a lot of phosphorus, and this can be a hard fertilizer to find. You need one especially formulated for hibiscus. Hidden Valley makes an excellent product and their's is a 17-5-24 balance. You'd want to use 1/2 the recommended amount for potted plants. Again, HV has the perfect fertilizer. Not affiliated with them in any way, just that Charlie is extremely well known in the tropical Hibiscus world, and has developed some of the most well known hibiscus cultivars out there. Great resource if you like growning tropical hibiscus :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Valley Hibiscus - Caring for Tropical Hibiscus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here