Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colldp68

Help with planting Hardy Hibiscus seeds

colldp68
15 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about starting a Hardy Hibiscus from seed. I just ordered a pack of 25 Swamp Hibiscus seeds. I would like to start them indoors if I can. Can anyone give me any information for how to start them indoors? Would it be better to start them now or wait until spring?

Thanks,

-Dan

Comments (5)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Save time and effort and wait until the weather is HOT outside. These are relatives of and similar to okra. Wet a double thickness of paper towels. Sprinkle the seeds on the paper towels and roll them tightly. Let them sit overnight. When the weather is hot, I fill a large pan (need slow drainage) with soil and SOAK it with water. Let it sit in the hot sun all day. The seeds will crack and some may have a small root sprout. Carefully plant them in the hot soil. I place the pan in the greenhouse and I water every day. They will sprout within a week. They will grow quickly in the heat.

• ohsillyme
    15 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing, should I start them now? wintersow them? wait til spring? If I wait til the weather is HOT in my zone, that wouldnt be til late June and I doubt I would get any blooms. Do they typically bloom first year if started in spring?

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

Terry, would that work as well for hibiscus seeds such
    as Lord Baltimore and Fantasia? I was thinking of winter
    sowing a few of each. Glad that I came across your post.
    Hope that all is well with you.
    Margaret

• virgiebaby165
    15 years ago

Just be sure if wintersowing seeds, they are "hardy" hibiscus and not tropical, which need heat to live.

I've had very good luck with wintersowing Hardy Hibiscus seeds in milk jugs and transplanting them to the garden. I've also grown them (very early, bringing them into the garage at night)in cat litter pails and 5 gallon pails and then transplanting when about 6" tall to their permanent location. Can get Disco Belles (smallest of Hardy Hibs.) to bloom the same year. Standard sized ones take 2 years to see the blooms.

Ginny B.

• walla2butterfly
    12 years ago

Hi, I have a question. I have some hardy hibiscus, and even thought it is getting late in the summer, do you think I can start some seeds I have and maybe get flowers next year? We have a long growing season here, and dont except a frost before the end of Oct. Or should I just store them until spring. We are still getting close to 16 hrs of daylight and the spot I have in mind is a lot of sun thanks Tami

Sponsored