Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trade

Posted by MissGardner 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 03 at 0:58

Anyone interested in doing a interIsland trade forum?
thanksBudW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trade

SURE

o

Me too!

o

Yes I am interested. I go between Oahu and the Big Island about every two months and am propagating and attempting to propagate native species. I am mostly interested in dry forest trees and shrubs and solt tolerant trees.

John

o

I am interested in an inter-island forum for trading, too. Does anyone know of the USDA rules for transporting plants inter-isle? I think we have to declare live plants or root cuttings at the point of checking in before boarding inter-island flights, right? And they have to pass inspection?

o

The USDA has no interest in controlling the interisland transportation of plant materials based on my discussions with them. The state, however, is very interested in controlling this movement and requires inspection. They are concerned over plant materials and transportation of animals such as the frogs. The inspection point in Honolulu is at the airport but I have not found the location in Hilo.

o
canna lilies

I have a lot of canna lily rhizomes, and I'm changing my landscaping. If anyone wants to come and dig out any, they can have ALL THEY CAN DIG for $5. These normally sell for $8 PER PLANT at Home Depot. My rhizomes are large and mature so you can get at least 2-3 more cannas per rhizome that you dig out. Click on the LINK, 'CANNAS IN MY GARDEN' (below) to see pics of my cannas. Email me at littleme_hi@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: CANNAS IN MY GARDEN

o

I'll join. From my experience traveling between Maui and the Big I, there didn't seem to be much problem, at least small scale. I took plants in a five gallon bucket, opened it at the airport, and they gave a quick visual inspection and sent me on my way. They did not seem very concerned being that it was inter island. This was 4 -5 years ago so, maybe different now. Eco-terrorism you know. And though they have an office (at least on the bigger islands) for commercial transactions, I just took them to the ag inspector in the airport terminal (after check in and before you go to your gate) and did it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Page

o

so, did the inter-island trade forum get set up? It's been a couple of years... I'd be interested!
Lee, Big Island

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Hawaii are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here