Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnchalmers

Looking for plants

cnchalmers
16 years ago

I am looking for a passionflower vine -it doesn't have to be lilikoi- and a crown flower plant. I have looked at the garden centers around where I live but I have had no luck. Any suggestions on where I could find these plants?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Try looking at web listings for Hawaiian nurseries. Maybe have them sent over from another island, if necessary.

• izzybelle
    16 years ago

I think I'm relatively close to you. If you are still interested in these plants, I can (right now) give you seeds of the lilikoi (which is the passion flower) and cuttings from lavendar crownflower (very easy to start). My mother has the crownflower and it was started from a cutting. I have two whole fencelines with lilikoi and they were started from seed. If I find any seedlings that have started to grow in the ground, I can dig them up. Anyway, let me know by posting on this site. Something about gardenweb...I can't seem to get e-mail...
    Best of luck,
    Lee

• hope44ll
    16 years ago

Hi Lee,
    I recently moved to Nanakuli with a big yard and it has crownflower trees along the fenceline. They're about 6-7 feet tall but look 'leggy' not full. Do you know if I need to cut them back? There are some caterpillars but most of the limbs only have a few leaves (uneaten by catepillars)and mostly stalk. Any suggestions?
    Mahalo!

• izzybelle
    16 years ago

Sorry that I haven't answered. My computer got the "kiss of death" from my son once again. To the best of my knowledge, if you start clipping them down from the top; a little at a time they should start bushing out. I have seen other people hack away at crownflower and the plants recovered bushily but I personally have not done this. Of course, the caterpillars don't help at all--(shhh, don't tell, but I've seen my mother go after the butterflies with a fly swatter!) Beyond that, there is also good fertilizer and/or mulch. Like all plants, these things will take time...Finally, water--this is where the mulch and, oh yeah--compost help...I know that this is not much in the way of detailed good news but here is what I would do: I would cut the leggy bushes down a little--maybe up to a foot the first time. Then, all in the same day, I would weed around the base of the plant as wide as the outermost tips to the branches. I would loosen the soil and add compost and mulch because compost has a tendency to cake up. Then I would water deeply, following that with a weak tea of fish emulsion. A week later, I would assess the situation and see if any new leaves were sprouting. New growth or not, I would fertilize with weak fish emulsion tea again. If there were new growth near the top, I might cut down a few inches, pushing growth lower and lower.
    Anyway, just for your info, crown flower can get very tall--geez, tree-like, almost.
    By the way, I am not too far from you would you like some montbrecia(sp?)/watsonia--I can't figure out which is which.
    Good luck,
    Lee

• hope44ll
    16 years ago

Lee, thanks for the info. I am happy to report that the crownflower plants are now bushy and full with flowers. Do you know if they just grow from cuttings?
    and what is the montbrecia(sp?)/watsonia?
    mahalo!

Sponsored