Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus in Hawaii

Posted by maui_jen Hawaii (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 0:39

I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now am wondering how they would do in Hawaii. I'm near sea-level, so temps range from 75-ish in winter to 85-ish in summer. Humidity is quite high compared to the mainland, usually 70%-90%. If I keep them indoors (without air conditioning) or out of direct sunlight outdoors do you think they would do ok?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus in Hawaii

So how is your Streptocarpus plant doing? Are they doing fine?

o

So far so good! I ordered six plants and they seem quite happy, even starting to bloom. Hopefully they will remain healthy in the heat of summer!

o

Aloha Jen, I just joined the site and I can't even find my question I asked yesterday! But I did see your similar post. I have no idea how old your question is, but I wondered if we could compare notes, if you are still on this site, and still in Hawaii.
Mahalo, Venutia
p.s. that is if I can figure out how this site works. I checked the box for posts to go to my email.

o

Aloha Venutia!

In the end, my streps didn't survive Hawaii. It is just too warm where I live. I kept half of them indoors with no direct light and the others outdoors behind shade curtain; both sets seemed equally happy regarding the light situation but they couldn't get as cool as they'd prefer. If they were upcountry at higher elevation I'm sure they'd be totally happy!

I absolutely adore Streps! If you are growing some, I wish you the best of luck - let me know how they do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here