Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cacao Criollo

Posted by mikevanecek 8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 04 at 0:54

Does anyone have access to theobroma cacao var. criollo there on the islands? I've currently got var. forastero and some of an undetermined parentage - tho the cotyledons were white and may be of mixed criollo or trinitario parentage.

I'm just trying to find confirmed criollo seeds. While I live in TX, I get my coffea arabica parchment/seed from a farm on the Big Island, and all my cacao came from the Big Island - harvested from pods, cleaned and packed in damp peat seems to work great - the seeds usually have rootlets by the time I get them 5 days later, but so far I've had 100% success in sprouting them... My ultimate goal - find seed from a cacao porcelana criollo. Drool.

So far they're growing great. The forasteros I have are into their 4th year and are likely to produce flowers. One produced a few last year. The others still have a few years to go - they're recent seedlings. Has anyone hand pollinated these babies? While other greenhouse specimens here on the mainland have successfully born pods from local pollinators, I'd still like to be certain of pollination. I've read that successfully hand-pollinating cacao can be a bit challenging...

Cheers,
Mike
Living the Islands thru plants... cheaper than airfare. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cacao Criollo

HI...I suggest you write to the Agricultural Extension Service in Hilo...If you are interested in the address, email me. Ctahr (College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resourses) has a team of agents, and Cacao is one of their focus crops....

Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here