Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit tree recommendations for Pahoa

Posted by scrollo LA,CA z10/Sunset z23 (scrollo@aol.com) on
Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 1:15

Hi I just got back from visiting two friends in Pahoa and I would like to send them some fruit tree plants. I live in Los Angeles & while I know some tropical fruits, I am mostly a novice. What would you recommend for me to consider? They live right above Kehana Beach, less than half a mile from the ocean. They are located on a 1955 lava flow but both have had their land bulldozed some so the lava is broken up and things seem to grow well. And both are pretty capable gardeners.

Thanks so much,

Matias

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit tree recommendations for Pahoa

Cashews do well in Pahoa, as do limes, lemons and oranges. There are good nurseries near Pahoa that can deliver and avoid any problems associated with importing fruit trees.

o

Aloha Matias,

If you send them a fruit tree seedling that you grew yourself, it will have to be sent with all the dirt removed and will have to be inspected by the plant inspection department in California. If you have a certified nursery send the plant, they may be able to send it with the dirt, although not all of them can do it.

If you would like to have a local fruit tree sent to them or have them go pick one up at a local nursery, you could try "Plant It Hawaii" or "Royal Palm Tropicals" since both of those nurseries have fruit trees. The Plant It Hawaii website has tons of information about the various tropical fruit trees available.

There is a nursery in California that specializes in "low chill" fruit trees, Dave Wilson Nursery, but they only sell trees to wholesalers so you'd have to find a nursery they sell to and buy a tree from them. They have several varieties of low chill apples, peaches, pears, etc. which may grow in Pahoa.

A hui hou,
Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Palm Tropicals

o

Does anyone out there grow :rambutan , litchee nuts , loquats , giant mangoes ,mangosteens, pomellos ?

o

Spent last weekend in Kapaho on a tropical fruit nursery. The star fruit was spectacular and they had some Sumarian cherries that were to die for. Never tasted anything quite like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here