Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Brush Ginger

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 3:18

Anyone here growing this plant? I acquired this plant at a plant sale recently. A married couple saw it first and bought most of the nice specimens--it was flowering and the flowers was very beautiful, deep orange flowers. They left two--one has no flower and other has flower but a bit ragged. One person beat me to it in getting the one that at least has flowers, so I was left with the last plant.

I was searching on Google for more information, but I couldn't find any. I think it's one of those ornamental ginger--the ginger that you couldn't eat, but what I have is a dwarf. I'll post picture soon. I want to propagate it, but even thought it doesn't have flowers, it still look nice and the mosses adds an aged quality to it. Anyone know about this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Brush Ginger

Hedychium Coccineum is known as orange "bottle" brush ginger. Google it. It's probably yours.

Steve

o

I forgotten to mention that the height of this plant is about or less than 12 inches. I also thought it was "bottle" brush ginger, but seeing the plant images compared to my plant seems very different. The Hedychium coccineum looks huge!

Also the form of the leaves compare to Hedychium coccineum does not look alike.
Orange Brush Ginger 01

I love the mosses and the young Psilotum nudum or moa growing in the pot.

Orange Brush Ginger 02

I decided to divide this plant into four or five segments. It's a bit root bound and will be planted in a new pot.

o

H. Coccineum blooms at 4 to 6 feet so it's probably not your plant but I have seen many plants bloom short in a root bound pot. Do you have a photo of the bloom. That would help a lot.

Steve

o

I posted the picture at the Ginger forum and rayandgwenn identify it as Burbidgea schizocheila. The other common name include Golden Brush Ginger and Voodoo Flame Ginger (very interesting to name that plant that).

Thank you Steve for replying. I don't have pictures of the flowers, I was fortunate to buy this last plant because the other plants that have flowers were taken up very quickly.

o

Randg,

I'm happy you got an ID on your ginger. Ray and Gwenn live in Puerto Rico and grow lots of tropicals; hence, they know about a lot of tropicals.

Steve

o

It finally flower couple months ago!

Burbidgea scheizocheila

I didn't know at first that it has buds after I divided the plants almost to the same day I acquired the plant. Perhaps that is why all of the plants that I divided didn't bloom. Next year, I know now what to do and when they usually bloom.

o

This is what you have......Voodoo Flame Ginger-Burbidgea schizocheila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here