Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frequency on big Island: hurricanes,tsunamis, lava flows other di

Posted by farmfreedom (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 14:41

What is the frequency on th Big Island of: hurricanes,tsunamis, lava flows, other disasters ? in MASSACHUSETTS we have one hurricane every 20 years or so . Usually hurricanes are 85 to 105 miles per hour . What are they on the big island ? and how frequent ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frequency on big Island: hurricanes,tsunamis, lava flows othe

Aloha, I live in Puna on Big Island, outside Pahoa. The volcano has been erupting just down the road from me since 1983, we just ignore it for the most part since no one lives in the flow area anymore, it just flows into the ocean. The last hurricane was Iniki in 1992. It hit Kauai, didn't affect BI very much, just high wind 50-60 mph. Very little area on the isle is in danger of tsunami, mostly low-lying areas within 1000' or less from the sea, and most of this area isn't suitable for gardening anyway, too hot, dry, and salty. We do have earthquakes, had one the other day, we're used to it. Thinking of moving here? A lot of people are.

o
RE: frequency on big Island: hurricanes,tsunamis, lava flows othe

Yes... I think I'll be moving there in Summer of 07. Coming in November to look at the subs. HPP, maybe Hawaiian Beaches & SHores, then buy the land over the winter. I'm sick of living in Michigan. So I'll be ready next year. I'll be building my own home too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here